MoveOn tells Sanders to move on

Except that at the end of a certain cycle of the primary campaign, a large section of the electorate get no say.

Maybe we need more free air time and debates for the candidates instead of them necessarily traveling everywhere.

3 Likes

Plenty of people agree, but I do think that @GideonTJones has a strong case for the former, that racism/sexism are so baked into our system (in the US) that fixing classism wonā€™t help. After all, upper class black people still experience racism and rich women of all colors are still subject to sexism (look at some of the criticism aimed at Clinton, which is based purely on sexist attitudes - not all criticism of her, but surely some of it, especially from the right).

Iā€™d prefer we try and address them together and see where they are interconnected, and work from there. But thatā€™s just a much harder conversation to have, I think, especially for people on the left who are white.

4 Likes

FTFY :smiley_cat:

Or level the playing field by getting rid of the huge amount of cash in the election, and allow all candidates the same air time, the same ability to mail the electorate, the same access to the public instead of allowing parties to build up a massive war chest full of funds coming from who know where and to make connections with shady superpacs (though not officially). End the depenceny of corporate, partisan media to get information out to the country. That, not the primary schedule, is a the bigger hurdle to minor candidates.

At this point, a large percentage of our population has no say in one of the most important aspects of the general election. Thatā€™s a major problem. In some years, the decision is made by the time SC rolls around - so Iowa, New Hampshire and SC are deciding the for the rest of America who the candidates areā€¦ and not even the majority of those states, either. Do you not see the problem there?

4 Likes

Damn it, I DO NOT want to wait 15 hours like my gals comment here!!!

Take a gif instead, please!

5 Likes

1 donated.

3 Likes

And now I canā€™t like this, eitherā€¦ but thanks!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a lot of unpacked privilege speaking, there.

A large, perhaps catastrophic number of people will die if Trump gets elected, both in the U.S. and elsewhere in the world. For body count reasons alone, please do not vote in such a way that he has a chance of getting the higher percentage.

2 Likes

Careful, trying to get into my head invariably leads to some very flawed assumptions. Iā€™m not a typical American.

Statistically, my vote isnā€™t relevant. We both know this. During my lifetime I have never come close to having an opportunity to vote on something that close on a scale larger than ā€˜Do we have Pizza or Tacosā€™.

This is a fact and it is undeniable. I have statistics to prove it. You have the ability to prove the same thing with respect to yourself. If your personal vote has ever made a difference on a larger scale then youā€™re a very, very lucky person.

So I have other focuses for my efforts. I MIGHT have voted for Sanders because heā€™d have actually been a net positive. But Iā€™m playing for bigger stakes than the elections of a single nation. Iā€™m in it to break the birth Nation lottery.

If enough people (you included) thought like Iā€™ve learned to think then weā€™d have already rewritten the planet.

Weā€™d have started the process of collecting peopleā€¦getting the best out of themā€¦ and then monetizing the results to rinse and repeat. Weā€™d have gotten to stage 3 already (Stage 1: easy sells. Stage 2: supplementation/critical mass. Stage 3: Refugees and orphans get to join amazing lives instead of dealing with charity)

Trust me, youā€™ve got this privilege thing backwards. The privilege is being in the West rather than in the Ivory Coast or Honduras.

Itā€™s about humans. Not Americans.

I assume that being the queen of Scotland you will still be voting in the US election? As much as I like watching these arguments, I am curious how much if this is an academic discussion for some folks vs those that will actually be able to vote.

That was part of the ā€œunpacked privilegeā€ I was talking about. The idea that politics is just a game to be put down when tired of it. It is life or death for many people.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a LAYER. Itā€™s a stupid LARP that weā€™re all forced to play. Itā€™s like joining a game of Monopoly where somebody already has all the properties.

Iā€™m working on the layer underneath. Thatā€™s where I can actually solve things.

I keep meaning to go back and dig through Cowā€™s old posts. He had a lot of infographics about the importance of ejecting a Democrat, any Democrat, and the regressive steps every time the GOP get back in.

(still supporting Green where it doesnā€™t matter, though).

2 Likes

I honestly do not understand. You say your vote is so inconsequential that working on a meta layer is where youā€™ll ā€œactually solve thingsā€. How does that make sense? Unless youā€™re a Republican or Libertarian megastar in Hollywood, or something like that.

And how does one inconsequential vote for an alternate candidate solve anything?

2 Likes

Having actually lived through some of those times, I totally agree with the Cow on that. Can you say John Andersonā€¦oops, I mean President Reagan?

(P.S. To no oneā€™s surprise, Iā€™m out of likes.)

1 Like

Heh.

Hereā€™s one from a few years ago. And I see he was arguing with @William_Holzā€¦

@Cowicide - hope you donā€™t mind me digging this up - appreciate that this might not be the time you want to be thinking about voting for Clintonā€¦

2 Likes

Well, there arenā€™t many solutions in national politics because thereā€™s a fundamental flaw in expecting everyone to agree based on their geographic location and where they fell in a birth nation lottery. If you want to create a civilization, it needs to be something people choose to join and something thatā€™s very easy to leave. (unless you have other ideas, but I think thatā€™s pretty solid)

Really super-roughlyā€¦create a Mondragon/Valve/Google/Charter city hybrid that uses principled hiring to gather people up under the condition that they raise the bar to a basic level (respecting consent, not ruining other peopleā€™s days, that sort of thing). Then provide them housing and turn campuses into charter cities that the people themselves control.

Use an open-source forking type structure to cover a personā€™s entire life (governance, housing, economics, etc.). Give people options, let them vote with their feet. The ones that people like grow, the ones they donā€™t shrink. Instead of one person imposing their will on everyone else with a generic idea that nobody is excited by and is a very low bar, people are forming groups based on what they like because weā€™re all different and change over the course of our lives.

Of course itā€™s more complicated than that (everything is complicated with people involved), but Iā€™ve got a team and currently weā€™re at ā€˜absurdly overengineeredā€™. It just needs to be good enough to put refugees in Skunkworks-type projects. And Iā€™ve already got a team working on the VC pitch and putting the rest together.

Honestly, there arenā€™t any original ideas there. Itā€™s a framework and the Venn diagram of overlapping ideas has already been implemented in various ways. This is just a different assembly of existing parts and falls very nicely into my comfort zone (business consulting on complex interactions was what I did before moving to Data Analytics after 9/11 turned my job from ā€˜letā€™s enable people to be awesome!ā€™ to ā€˜letā€™s be more efficient so we can fire people!ā€™)

THEN we use Citizenā€™s united for a very good cause.

Nation-based representational democracy will always create a miquetoast solution that traps everyone at a fairly low level because ā€˜if theyā€™re not trying hard then why should I?ā€™ thereā€™s not much incentive for progress there.

Iā€™d give my spleen for an infintesimal fraction of the resources that go to these elections, we only need enough to set up a couple of university-type campuses (with housing) to create our critical mass.

Seeing everyone put so much heart and resources into our political process honestly kind of ticks me off. Thereā€™s no way that the good guys will win because the advantage goes to the worst in us.

Edit: The last local convo on the subject is hereā€¦but something much, much better is in the works.

I already said I canā€™t vote, but there has been a lot of history of US presidents influencing UK politics. Why canā€™t I have someone closer to my beliefs pressurising David Cameron to not be as shit as he has been? I canā€™t see Hillary doing that, and Cameron has already expressed a strong dislike of Trump.

Also, while I couldnā€™t vote for Bernie, I did vote for his brother (Who is currently Health Spokesperson for the Green Party of England and Wales )in the 2005 UK General Election.

So, no I canā€™t vote, but itā€™s more than academic for me.

Iā€™m not saying donā€™t vote Hillary, Iā€™m saying she needs to do a lot more to win votes than saying ā€œvote for me or Trump winsā€. I would rather see anyone other than Trump as president, but the way things are going Hillary is going to lose. She is pushing the independent left away.

Maybe the only way out of this mess is for Hillary to have Bernie as her running mate.

4 Likes

Not a problem and certainly worthwhile to have a voice in the debate.

I would not agree with that sentiment and neither do recent polls. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/06/10/donald-trumps-polling-surge-has-faltered-and-democrats-havent-even-united/

Trump is not going to have an easy time and will likely lose moderates to Clinton. I am not a Clinton enthusiast, but I find the narrative of the Sanders supported to come from a bit of a bubble. Clinton is saying a lot more than ā€œvote for me or Trump winsā€ and from my non-partisan position it sounds very similar to what Sanders says. As I have said before, I think Sanders is just a different mix of centrist and left-center policies than Clinton. Depending on which issue you most identify with you could end up counting one or the other as more progressive. Seriously. I think the biggest difference is that one is the establishment and one is not actually a member of the Democratic party.

Let us know how youā€™re going to sidestep it all.