Movie moments that "F***'d Me Up as a kid!"

Yeah, some of these still fuck me up. I’ve just been re-traumatized watching that video.

3 Likes

Most kids movies in the 80’ and some in the 90’s had scenes that were seemingly designed to traumatize the shit out of kids. It’s so weird revisiting them now as an adult and wondering who the hell thought it’d be fine. That said i do like that a lot of these movies don’t try to sugar coat things for kids and let them experience some hard truths or feelings in a safe way.

6 Likes

Anyone else screwed up by the lobotomizing thing in The Black Hole?

8 Likes

I listened to a podcast about it (How Did This Get Made) and i honestly had forgotten all about it and it suddenly came rushing back at me. For years i thought it was a weird fever dream that i imagined because the movie was so fucking strange.

1 Like

As a kid i watched Fire In The Sky, absolutely not a movie for kids and there’s a scene where aliens put a needle in the main character’s eye and it is… rough to watch.

7 Likes

The original version of The Fly when it’s in the web saying, “Help me!” That voice and view from the fly’s perspective messed me for years. I cite that as the cause of my arachnophobia. Also, the ending of Charlotte’s Web, because they somehow suckered me into feeling sad about an animated spider. :woman_shrugging:t4:

ETA: This was terrible, too:

9 Likes

Yea: this is the dark basement of the soul for people turning 40ish.
Temple of doom: my parents took me to it in the theater!? Wtf I was like 5? I ended up in theblobvy freaking out with one of them. Watership down? Saw it at school when I was 6. I am still viscerally angry at people who suggest it for their kids. I talked a friend who tried to say her 8yo would like it because animals into reading it first. Her: “it’s not what I expected.” Me: “you didn’t expect the violent bunny fascism?”

7 Likes

Childcatcher for sure, it seemed like a thing that could actually happen to me, so I took it very seriously.

One missing for me from the list was The Gate - “You’ve been bad!” (again, no business watching this at 8, thanks, early morning HBO!)

5 Likes

The remake with Jeff Goldblum is also horrifying at the end, of course it’s meant to be but still…

5 Likes

Hands down, the nature preserve scene with the baboons in The Omen; even if not a great deal of The Omen. That scene was so scary to me as a kid.

Then, they topped that in Omen II, when Damien assaults his stepbrother (?) in the woods.

5 Likes

OMFG I’d forgotten I’d ever seen that, never mind been scarred by it - but something buried deep in the section of my subconscious labelled “Childhood trauma, DO NOT DISTURB” groaned when I read your words… Think I genuinely hid behind the sofa, and probably cried, some otherwise innocuous Saturday afternoon, alone in the TV room. Just found clips on Youtube and, well, I shouldn’t have.

What’s that? Am I crying now? Why no, I was just chopping some onions. Uh, yes, right here behind the sofa.

Thanks, I think :wink:

4 Likes

The Secret of Nihm movie is also up there for me, the lab scene showing how the rats and mice were experimented on and then also The Great Owl was creepy as well

And The American Tail movie (the first one) was also pretty depressing, still a great movie but damn. The second is much more fun to watch,

7 Likes

I was watching a TV show and they had this segment about Alfred Hitchcock. In the old days they didn’t care about spoilers and showed these two scenes. I remember taking shower with the bathroom door open after it for a couple of months.

4 Likes

Jaws did it for me too. I remember not being able to sleep with my feet dangling over the bed for…well…like even today I can’t do it. The scene where Hooper dives on the wrecked boat at night and the body floats up into the hole in the hull was the clincher.

l1YAjY

The earliest memory of watching a horror movie with my dad was Nightwing (1979) about a colony of mutant vampire bats. Pretty dumb by today’s standards.

6 Likes

Not sure if you’re aware of the history of that film, but it was a William Castle film. Back in the day, he had chairs in the theater wired up to vibrate at that scene in the film…

It was called “percepto” and he did it with several other films. We got to see this in the theater once, and the group that put the viewing on had a chair out in the lobby wired up (and my kid refused to test it out).

That bloody bathtub scene, though… wow!

9 Likes

I have no idea how it ended up on Brazilian TV in the 1970s. But I remember that this short film made me sick.

4 Likes

For me the moments which got to me as a kid were on TV.

The Twilight Zone “Eye of the beholder” scared the bejebus out of me. Because it was so real.

And there was a late night horror show that had old B&W movies. There was a movie about a group of Amazon(?) explorers that were turning into mushroom people. It turned me off to mushrooms for YEARS.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Same!

4 Likes

“Tag yourself”-- oh I’m definitely Pavel “they put creatures in our bodies” Chekov.

(shudders.)

6 Likes