Movie reviewers are boycotting the first big movie to return to theatres since COVID

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/27/movie-reviewers-are-boycotting.html

4 Likes

6 Likes

Does anybody care? I can’t remember when I read a movie review last anyway, I always rely on friends and family to know how the movie is. This might end up just proving that movie reviewers and just not really needed anyways

I won’t go to a movie that has a Rotten Tomatoes score of less than 65.

That said, I won’t go to a movie, period, now, even though that’s one of the things I miss most. They were offering 15c tickets at my local theater when it reopened. Getting coronavirus at a discount is not my idea of a bargain.

10 Likes

Exactly. Disney would provide a streaming screening if it thought otherwise. And no critic is going to risk their health to see it in a public theatre.

7 Likes

It’s actually a brilliant move by Disney, if they think the movie is an embarrassing disaster and don’t want anyone to know. I mean, if they release it online, people might see it.

1 Like

I loved the comics as a teen and I was looking forward to the movie (I liked The Fault in Our Stars well enough). Doing it as a horror seemed kind of weird, but okay. And now Sunspot is apparently a white guy, not like in the comics? Huh. But theatres only? Ridiculous…I don’t care how good a movie is, I’m not risking my health or my family’s lives for it.

And you don’t think any of your friends or family allow movie reviews (individual or aggregate) to influence whether they choose to watch a movie?

2 Likes

Man, I wasn’t excited about this film BEFORE the pandemic. I can’t imagine it is a film “To Die for” in any way.

Hell, I don’t think I could get the enthusiasm to even pirate it.

3 Likes

I’d love to see this movie, but I’ll wait until it’s on streaming. There’s no way I’m sitting in a stew of plague effluvia for 2 hours.

To heck with the New Mutants.

Where is the Power Pack movie?!

7 Likes

Last weekend, I saw a movie in the theatre (the original Jurassic Park). It’s a fantastic movie, especially on the big screen. It was a great experience all around. There were 7 of us in the large theatre, all socially distancing (my family stuck together, another family stuck together, and some guy in the back alone), and tickets were $5. I’m only doing this because infection rates in my area are fairly low and as long as this remains the same and the theatres don’t get any more crowded, I have no problems doing this again.

2 Likes
4 Likes

Yeah, having no reviewers go see it is obviously Disney’s intention, but it doesn’t necessarily mean they think it’s a terrible movie. It’s an orphaned movie right now, held back for years because it was shot just in time for the transition in ownership from Fox to Disney, and it doesn’t fit into the Disney plan for the Marvel properties at all. In between studio politics and not wanting this to confuse audiences about the MCU, how they feel about the quality may be irrelevant.

Avast Mateys! Stick to the fair winds of the Spanish Main unless ye fancy a case of the dead man’s chest!

This epidemiological advice has been brought to you by absurd pirate stereotypes and is 86.3% more credible than that offered by an alarming percentage of nominally responsible authority figures; for entertainment purposes only use as directed.

2 Likes

Incidentally: Power Pack was the only superhero comic I ever collected.

However, the first issue I read was the one where the antagonists were a racially-mixed group of homeless kid superheroes, a working-class mirror to the main heroes extremely middle-class WASPiness.

I found those characters much more interesting than the main cast, and I was always hoping that they’d get their own comic or at least a recurring role. But, nope; one-offs, never seen again.

6 Likes

Yes.

Anybody who’s actually going out to the movies these days, isn’t the type of person who is going to convince me to go to the movies anyway.

4 Likes

I applaud the AV Club’s choice, but feel slightly uncomfortable with their framing.

The implication of their being responsible vs. Disney’s irresponsibility feels a little awkward when (at least as I read it), they’d have had no problem reviewing if Disney had made it safe for the reviewers.

If public safety were the motivation, then shouldn’t they decline to review movies being released in theaters until such time as it is safe for people to see movies in person? I would imagine that a review could seriously goose attendance numbers by, if for no other reason, making people aware that movies are being shown in theaters.

Anyway, not questioning their decision, just the framing of the announcement.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.