MOVIES: A first look at Tom Hanks as 'Mister Rogers'

Even this parody makes one get a bit misty.

2 Likes

If we’re going with the Thor comparison, you also have to mention that, as tweeted by Saladin Ahmed, Captain America is also Mr. Rogers (with at least two ways to interpret that).

(And back to Thor: in some depictions, the enchantment on Thor’s hammer means that someone has to be “worthy” by the standards of the culture of Asgard, not current day society…and it amuses me to imagine that Fred Rogers lived up to those standards too, but just never encountered a situation where the willingness to beat the living hell out of anyone who looked at him funny was the better quality than listening and appreciating them, and the Asgardians could appreciate that too.)

1 Like

Re: “The film is based on the true story of the friendship between the “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood” host and journalist Tom Junod.”

Makes for a good story, but I think they’ve should have went with this:

3 Likes

Covered this in detail over on Metafilter. And someone observed they’re both named Rogers.

1 Like

You should see the documentary.

Your depiction of his religion doesn’t show in any footage of him or story of him I’ve ever run across.

He was a great man.

1 Like

He certainly seemed to be one of the few people who actually took all of the Jesus-y parts of the Bible to heart.

2 Likes

Isn’t this guy really better casting?

2 Likes

That is a complete lie. There is no such thing as a tough and mean Air Force drill sergeant!

People used to enlist in the Air Force to avoid dangerous duty. It is the only service where mostly the officers are the ones likely to be in danger. (See George Carlin and Johnny Cash)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.