Movies depicted as fields of colored lines

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/03/movies-depicted-as-fields-of-c.html

6 Likes

This is really neat. I am not a huge fan of color field art - though I enjoy Rothko - but this evokes that movement and I like it.

4 Likes

I’d like to see this done with each column being a different frame. Maybe not every frame of the movie, but a nice sampling at least. I’m guessing many movies have large color shifts as the move from act to act.

Agreed. I enjoy glitch art and this has the added perceptual bonus of derived from motion as you said. The following depiction feels more like choosing house paint:

Wes-Andersons-Film-Scenes-Visualized-as-Color-Palettes-03

3 Likes

No Chinatown? The older films are tribute to DP’s, the newer ones maybe not so much?

1 Like

This is way cooler:

I bought two of them after reading this post by Pesco, I got Tron and Blade Runner. They’re printed on continuous tone photo paper and look gorgeous.

2 Likes

I wonder if I could take these over to Spoonflower and get some fabric printed?

1 Like

Plenty of older movies (Starting with 1937) on the site and they take requests.

Nolan films seem to have a consistent color palette even across different films not in the same universe/genre. Like Interstellar and Inception share very similar colors for no apparent reason that I can see but others like Kubrick weren’t afraid to really mix it up it seems.

1 Like

Jason Salavon did this in 2001 with raster-order images:

http://salavon.com/work/TopGrossingFilmAllTime/
http://salavon.com/work/MtvsTop10/

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is pretty neat. I saw it and thought “What is that white part? Oh yeah, now I remember.”

Also, just now realizing so many of them end with black because of the credits.

These would make cool knit/crocheted afghans.

I’ve been doing this for a while. Here is 2001, with each column a single frame of the film. The black area about 2/3 along is the interval. Sorry, it’s from my facebook feed, so the image isn’t as nice as it look in real life:

2 Likes

This.

I wasn’t a fan of color field until I stood in front of the Rothko at the RISD museum. His work has a quiet presence that doesn’t come across in photos. Would love to visit the Rothko chapel in Houston someday.

2 Likes

Here’s your typical Marvel film:

2 Likes

That’s… odd, Rob.

Also, I’m apparently alone with these whitewashed films…odder.

ETA: the read the rest link worketh. Hooray, hooray what a beautiful day, for I have found my cow!

1 Like

I finally saw some live ones at the Tate, and part of what makes his stuff powerful/interesting is the shear size. Now I get the reasoning color field artists experimented with this movement, but often times it was met with mixed success. For some reason, I am guessing the color choices, I found Rothko interesting in the modern art history classes. But once I saw one in person I had a greater appreciation.

And for everyone who doesn’t know, to REALLY appreciate modern art you have to understand the history. WHY were they painting like that. Sure one can appreciate any art on an esthetics level.

LOL - it isn’t THAT bad, but I feel you. aand it appears the have taken some of the criticism to heart. The GotG movies are much more colorful, as was the last Thor. One of the big things that drew me to comics was the colors. I get making costumes not all spandex, but don’t be afraid to add colors.

2 Likes

Yeah, I mean here’s your typical DCU film by comparison:

1 Like

I’d really like to see two of my favourites - Dark Star and The Blues Brothers - but I aint paying $40 a time, on spec. Would need to see it first and then decide if I wanted to spend $20.

(Plus, site needs an index. Or proper text labels that can be searched for on the page.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.