Movies premiering on HBO Max might not happen again for a long time

Originally published at: Movies premiering on HBO Max might not happen again for a long time | Boing Boing

Dammit now that old HBO music is stuck in my head.

8 Likes

Nostalgia for the movie theatre experience will only get the industry so far. Except for SFX blockbusters, there’s not much reason to pay the ever-increasing price to leave home to see a film.

There are opportunities for exhibitors – sing-a-longs, revival screenings, live broadcasts of sports and legitimate theatre and operas and concerts. However, I don’t know if they’re enough to satisfy the demands of the stock market for endless growth.

7 Likes

Lots of good content leaving and being replaced by dreck.

The name changes but the plan remains the same… except it doesn’t and soon you’ll have to pay a premium for a currently underwhelming 4k offering.

“We’re in no rush to bring the movie to Max”

It’s like they don’t want our money anymore.

7 Likes

They still want our money.

They just don’t want to have to do anything to get it.

11 Likes

I cannot put into words how glad I was to watch WW85 at home for free instead of paying for it. It was so very bad that I didn’t feel bad turning it off.

That said, I don’t have a lot of reason to go to a theatre anymore. A given movie is on home video, streaming or physical, within a month of release. My home setup is very comfy and the snacks are free. Why would I want to go out? I still plan, at some point, to do one of those “rent out the theatre” and screen something fun, like Rugrats in Paris, for my nieces and nephews, but otherwise? Meh. I spent a lot of time in theatres as a teen and didn’t watch the movies then anyway.

1 Like

There is a short documentary on how that was made too:

Tl;dr creative use of miniatures for the city sequence, and painted glass plates for the star gate sequence (much like in 2001). It was all practical, no CGI. Oh, and a 65 piece orchestra for that epic theme music.

3 Likes

I hear you, but there are still some movies that I want to see on as big a screen as humanly possible. I caught Dune on one of the larger IMAX screens in the country and it was amaaaaazing. I’m glad I saw the new Top Gun and Way of Water on the big screen, but did I need that for Amsterdam? I did not.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.