Mr. Bitchin is a 2013 documentary about the extraordinary painter Robert Williams

Originally published at: Mr. Bitchin is a 2013 documentary about the extraordinary painter Robert Williams | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Clipbacks Reaction GIF by Omer Studios

2 Likes

I knew him before I knew his name from the GnR Appetite for Destruction art and the cover of Scatterbrain’s Here Comes Trouble.

Tower Books (attached to the record store) had a bunch of his art books in a size which was the happiest medium between big enough to show the paintings while still being able to be shoved down the front of my pants. They all had introductions and commentary on the paintings, including 3 versions of titles per (a sentence-long explanation of the scene, a title using academic language to place it in a traditional context, and a short word or phrase to use when speaking of it) which covered much of the same territory as this doc. very influential in my design, drawing, and photo schoolwork as well as my personal art. never had a hot rod, but the Ford Ranger I had back then, I put letters from a mailbox kit to spell “self-inflicted” on the quarter panel.

still got the books

2 Likes

Been a Super fan for years. A huge influence on my Art once I laid eyes on Zombie Mystery Paintings! He’s also a true gentleman. I’ve made movies of his lectures for years. I just finished my latest, Robert Williams Hot Rod Innovator, and he gave me a call to express his thanks!
Side note, I am in Mr. Bitchin for like 2 seconds, lol.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.