Robert Crumb's iconic "Stoned Agin!" original art up for auction

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/06/robert-crumbs-iconic-stone.html

5 Likes

It’s up to $49,000 as of 11/6 at 4:45pm ET. Cheap!

4 Likes

Interesting guy. Here’s a fascinating snippet from the documentary “Crumb” where he discusses his brother’s artwork.

6 Likes

One of the big takeaways from that documentary was that Robert appeared to be the least disturbing sibling from a family of very sad, lonely men who were almost certainly all sex offenders of some kind.

11 Likes

There are two high grade Shadow comics for someone wanting to get me a birthday present in December…

3 Likes

Crumb’s take from 1989 on future president Trump:

Crumb_Trump_comic.pdf (2.5 MB)

14 Likes

Direct auction link.

1 Like

and people tell me I’m hard to shop for

3 Likes

and agin and agin and agin and…

3 Likes

As an aside, I’m finding this site to be difficult to use because the damn thing refreshes and jumps all over. I’m all for ads and the like, as long as they don’t play audio or interfere with the content. But damn. I hate to be insulting, but its as bad as Go Media over here now. I don’t WANT to ad block, but -expletive-

4 Likes

If what’s commented on in “Crumb” is factual (and I have no reason to think otherwise), then it would be interesting to think on whether or not Robert’s art would have been as “intense” as it was, or much less, exist at all if his father was not the monstrosity he apparently was.

BTW: I highly recommend Zwigoff’s Louie Bluie! Check it out.

5 Likes

Agreed! Seeing four of the same ad on all points on a page is a tad to retro 1998 Web page for me!

2 Likes

chuck crumb had never sex with another human in his life (as mentioned in said film and comitted suicide just a few weeks after filming was done), and max wasnt very active either, mostly spending his days as time of filming with “meditation” and drawing. and robert himself never made a secret out of his “perversity”.

4 Likes

thanks. but as it turns out, this is the circulating pdf with the important second page of this comix missing:

(sorry, its from my personal copy in german, have to search for the english one, but the third pic reads - maybe the reason the second page is missing, I asume. dont know -

Let’s get him how he’s got New York. I have this strap-on-monster-dildo, I’d love to ram this through his rosette

3 Likes

Thanks for this.I hadn’t seen this page, as you guessed right I got it from the internet. I can’t find the original online.
When I have some time I’ll shop it back to English.

1 Like

Yep. At least Robert was functional, to an extent. His siblings were completely broken.

My guess is that without his father’s monstrosity, Robert Crumb’s artwork would not exist as such, but he and his brothers would not be the sad, broken sex offenders they became. My guess is that he still would be an artist, but more forgettable because he would be less warped as a person. Maybe he would still be a fucked up person (but a more mundane, forgettable kind of fucked up), or maybe he (and his siblings) would lead happy, normal lives. Any way you slice it, his father did irreparable damage to that family.

Uh, is it established that all three were sex offenders? One of R.’s brothers made some admissions on camera, so he qualifies, but what about Robert and the other brother?

1 Like

Maybe not all of them, but I’d believe at least two of the three were. I would not be shocked at all if they all were, but only one of them definitely was.

1 Like

If I recall the documentary correctly Max Crumb described a time he was arrested for impulsively yanking down the pants of a woman standing in front of him at a supermarket checkout line.

5 Likes

Jezuz! youre right! that was max. I totaly forgot(!?) bout that; actually, I believe he used indeed the word " rape". :expressionless:

edit/

ohmy, Im so confused; obvisouly I cant trust my memory today at all

1 Like