Mr. Robot Mr. Robot Mr. Robot šŸ‘ØšŸ¤–šŸ‘ØšŸ¤–

Have people missed this somehow?

Iā€™m surprised it hasnā€™t rated a mention for its relatively authentic portrayal of hacking, let alone its quality.

12 Likes

Damn, everything in the universe really is connected in some way; I was just discussing the pros and cons of this show with a coworker yesterday.

Considering how very tech-oriented this site seems, I was surprised not to see any posts about Mr Robot, or at least a few comments mentioning it.

8 Likes

I missed it because the adverts made it look like a misanthrop talking down at how stupid everyone is andā€¦ yea no sorry I donā€™t need the fiction telling me the world is shit when the news and my family prove that it is.

Edit: So please, sell me on it. Tell me why I should look past this hoodie guy being apparently a sneering down his nose asshole talking about how society and people are shit

6 Likes

Actually the protagonist isnā€™t a true misanthrope; heā€™s a deeply damaged drug addict whoā€™s disconnected from intimacy but hacks people to try to feel close to them.

10 Likes

Interesting. Now to see if I can shotgun the everything thatā€™s been on so far since it has a feel of ā€˜if you jump in while in the middle you will be horribly lost.ā€™

Also thing I found on reddit:

9 Likes

Holy cow. You must watch it. Tour de force.

Deep TV.

12 Likes

We talked about it a bit in Questions a while ago

I was really happy to see a show involving hackers that portrayed things fairly authentically, though I wish there was more of it in the show. Major props to the director for not repeating this nauseating Hollywood 3d tripe:

10 Likes

This has to be one of my favourite shows. in a weird way, itā€™s actually about trying to make a difference in the world. Itā€™s really enjoyable, everything feels like theyā€™re trying to make it as legit as possible to the real hacking world, and the acting is really really good. I highly recommend it. I donā€™t really wanna say too much more for fear of accidental spoilersā€¦

12 Likes

Awesomesauce. No spoilers. Go in cold. Enjoy.

8 Likes

We watched the first three episodes just on the strength of Rami Malek (he was terrific in The Pacific and we loved his ā€œSteve DiBiasiā€ character in Larry Crown), but didnā€™t have time to commit the full run. It didnā€™t disappoint. We plan to rewatch the episodes, finish off the season, and get caught up. Until then, Iā€™ll take my leave so not to learn anything that may ruin an episode. :hushed:

4 Likes

Great show. Came here to tell everyone to watch it.

6 Likes

//cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/boingboing/original/3X/8/b/8bb7dcf5749d3ff5137c249a3849efe0c725bf93.gif

3 Likes

I got notification I was mentioned, and horrified/confused reaction gif, but no idea what was said.

2 Likes

Sorry, @neonflame, @miasm, @Kimmo . . . everyone! I was trying to do a funny post and worried that I wasnā€™t bringing enough funny. I deleted it with a vow to do better later but . . . well, I didnā€™t delete fast enough. :slight_smile:

So . . . first, I agree the show is clearly better than most shows. Way better. Thatā€™s the first thing.

Second, my nutshell reservation about the show is that it almost feels like what a ā€œcorporate conspiracyā€ would market to people who identify as hackers. There are narrative components that arguably negate social justice concerns even though the protagonist is presented as a sort of hacktivist hero.

His politics are mostly not coherent. In fact, one might expect the character to have very little patience with politics. Score one for the corporations.

I think he can be read as a misunderstood, asocial genius tasked with saving society and regular people though they are likely too dim to understand or appreciate his sacrifice.

What more could a corporate conspiracy ask of hackers than that they identify as isolated, asocial, sexually repressed men who believe they are unique, exceptional, misunderstood geniuses? Nothing more. Itā€™s like the corporations have hacked the hackers with that narrative.

And the story also reminds me a lot of Chuck Palahniuk and Fight Club, esp. the parts with Christian Slater though I havenā€™t watched long enough yet to know how far the writers go with it. So far, they seem to have left that door pretty much wide open.

4 Likes

I agree strongly on what you wrote the spoiler bit. Thereā€™s a line between paying homage and lifting outright that seems a bit blurred. I also feel they are trying so hard to get the hacker / tech bits right that they are missing some realism in other areas like actual science. Iā€™ll not mention specifics as I donā€™t want to give too much away.

On another note, I hope the mental state of the protagonist doesnā€™t become too much of an out for the writers in upcoming seasons. It is enjoyable TV though, and I donā€™t watch a lot of TV.

3 Likes

If the character was portrayed as truly inspired to do some social justice hacking, could he hack his own corporately constructed ā€œspecial geniusā€ personality, make friends and explore tech-literate contributions to social activism?

3 Likes

This suggests something of a false dichotomy to me, as regards real-world action. It is a criticism which has been leveraged against me quite often, that disrupting totalitarian systems without a political vision to replace them with must lead to another version of the same, or fantasies of libertarian wanquery, or both. But I see a revolution which does not put its stamp upon the new reality as being a success, rather than ā€œthe new boss - same as the old bossā€. This is because I see direct democracies as being the only ethical and equitable systems. Socially, collectivism is impossible if people are not free to associate and form meaningful collectives. So I see creation of a bare-bones framework to facilitate that as a success.

As for the world of Mr. Robot, the last couple of episodes of the first season suggest to me that your reservations about Eliotā€™s motivations and actions related to intentional aspects of the story. That Eliotā€™s short focus upon family and personal issues did make for a selfishly motivated movement, and developments this season which he was unable to see the consequences of. I think that the writers knowingly subverting their revolution - even in its success - was a somewhat brave decision. It results in what I think is a carefully-constructed ambiguity, rather than ambiguity as a result of poorly staging their ideas.

8 Likes

My earlier draft mentioned that my take on the show was closer to yours.

1 Like

We agree with each other on this question though we do have different readings of the show.

Perhaps. I think your reading of the show is accurate, but with the difference that you make it sound as if this was due to a lack of awareness rather than being deliberate. I canā€™t fault them that the story or characters could/should have been anything else, since they seem to know where they were going with it. But whether or not they handle it successfully this season remains to be seen. I agree with you that somebody with more social awareness and cogent politics would be a preferable person, but there are narrative reasons, for better or worse, why we instead have an alienated, damaged, unreliable narrator. I think it has room to grow up in interesting ways.

4 Likes