Whatcha Watchin'?

Funny, just this past weekend we rewatched High Fidelity with our ‘now old enough to appreciate it’ teens and wondered what ever happened to Iben Hjejle.

2 Likes

I loved the Rathbone Holmes, but really he was more Rathbone than Holmes. His character was almost the same one in everything he played, whether he was hero or villain. Ultimately Brett was probably better as Holmes, but I can watch Rathbone all day long. (He’d have made an interesting Doctor Who.)

My wife hates Cumberbach; I can take him or leave him, but wish he was in fewer things. His mother was better, both a more talented actor and more screen magnetism.

Moffatt I’m afraid peaked with Press Gang.

I didn’t like him when the series came back, but in retrospect that is because I didn’t/don’t like the format/pacing/etc of the new series. I rewatched the Eccleston episodes a couple of years ago and TBH I prefer his portrayal to the two Doctors that came after him. (Not to Capaldi, who is in many ways a true original series Doctor.)

3 Likes

Makes sense. I actually watched the new series with the intention of never liking it because I thought it was far nerdier than I was capable of embracing.

2 modern-era Doctors later* and examining the originals and here I am turning my kids into Whovians.

*I stated earlier that I’m waiting for my daughter to catch up and we’ll watch Capaldi together.

1 Like

He is a serious fanboy about the show. He is on record that this role is pretty much his dream gig.

4 Likes

It shows, too. He always seems to be having the most fun playing the role.

3 Likes

Try this thread.

2 Likes

So you don’t want to watch my new show about a time traveling amnesiac ninja who was sent to stop his evil twin?

He is the evil twin but amnesia

3 Likes

Grrrr. No Lucifer for a month, after the last episode ends in a cliff-hanger; its resolution airs tonight, and next week’s show is the “winter finale”??? They came back for all of two episodes? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Though I suppose it could give me time to catch up on some DVDs. And I did hear the show got picked up for a full season run so whatever they’re clearly building up to for next week will eventually get at least semi-resolved later. I don’t believe for a minute that Lucifer and Chloe are really gonna get together so soon in the series. There’s bound to be more will-they-won’t-they for some time yet. And I know it’s a foolish thing to rant over (especially since foreign shows might only last a handful of episodes and have years between series.) It is still aggravating.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen that one, wasn’t it the plot of one of the Bourne sequels? Or was it a Star Trek, wasn’t Bones a ninja in one episode? Wait, that was Sulu.

2 Likes

I would watch the shit out of that. But I clicked on the spoiler… :crying_cat_face:

2 Likes

Isn’t that basically the plot of the Schwarzeneggar Total Recall movie?

3 Likes

Surely you know that’s the way EVERY evil twin gig goes! Where have you been?

3 Likes

Yeah but lets make it edgier
" Get your ass to Io!"

2 Likes

It’s been so long that I think maybe I need to go back and rewatch it. Hjejle was the star of a Dogme 95 movie, Mifune - something I see has good reviews. Need to watch that one, too.

Thank you Dave (and to others who answered/provided same info).
Funny that I missed a thread which starts with the words “Have people missed this somehow?” :slight_smile:
Anyway, based on what I read there, Mr. Robot’s probably not going to be worth sinking too much precious time into. Forewarned is forearmed!

3 Likes

Little Witch Academy started its first season in Japan. It looks like it is a soft reboot, as the two previous episodes (I guess a pilot and a one hour stand alone story) probably are going to be re-written.

It is TV-Y7, so it is geared for kids, but I do love the color palette and thus far isn’t isn’t nearly as formulaic as many animes are. If you like Harry Potter, you probably will like this. It is basically an anime Harry Potter with all pre-teen or teen girls. Also some of the art looks like it was done by Mucha and looks great. It is subtitled, but my 10 year old seemed to keep up ok.

http://kissanime.ru/Anime/Little-Witch-Academia-TV

ETA - the Mucha inspired poster:

and a poster from the stand alone episode that predates the series.

4 Likes

Is that the one where he has this new female partner because the chief ninja says he has to work with her so he won’t screw up again, and they don’t like each other very much but by the end of the first season they are starting to respect each other, but then in the second season she drops hints that she knows more about him than she’s letting on and we start to suspect that she may have been his girlfriend before he got amnesia and really wants to mess up his mind because she liked him better when he was evil?

Because I think I saw it.

7 Likes

The Expanse came to Prime so I’m watching that. I’m three episodes in so I must be enjoying it. :laughing:

7 Likes

You forgot the part that she’s actually his great granddaughter who traveled back in time, but she has amnesia too. Because time travel CAUSES amnesia!!

4 Likes

That must be new. It wasn’t there a few weeks ago when I went looking for it.

1 Like