Whatcha Watchin'?

Oh, well yes. It felt very final alright. I just mean i had much more of a positive reaction to the episode as a whole than some others seem to have had. I’ve read a lot of reactions and it seems to have spilt people.

Apparently paul weller was in this playing a corpse! I missed that, think it was during one of the quick montage scenes.

2 Likes

I thought it was OK. It just felt like it most of it had been written for a different show and had Sherlock adaptors plugged into it. Would have made a good Doctor Who ep., frex.

1 Like

Yeah, it was all over the place but it had some extremely engaging moments. I don’t think eurus flitting about everywhere while being able to reprogram anyone to her will was remotely plausible.

3 Likes

If it has, it’s only been briefly.

I’m definitely hooked with some unanswered questions of my own.

Overall, I’ve really enjoyed this particular take on Sherlock Holmes, even if Im not so wild about some episodes over others.

Agreed; the writers utterly failed to suspend my disbelief with that bit.

Exactly. Swap that for some The Master type mind-control powers and the whole thing starts to get a lot better.

The relationship between The Doctor and The Master as best frenemies, the complete pointlessness of Mycroft being in this ep and relegated to Companion level usefulness, the puzzle-maze-of-death with the cry-for-help at the end…the more I think about it, the more I reckon Moffat was just rebadging a Who script idea.

3 Likes

My big one is [spoiler]When the kid (French) looks in the mirror and sees Homer in the reflection was that Homer trying to reach him from another plane? Drug-induced hallucination? WTF was it?!?

I guess I need to decide if there was some actual other-worldliness or if it was all fake. [/spoiler]

1 Like

I think that scene was meant to illustrate the deep skepticism & doubt French was beginning to have about the OA’s story.

Homer just happens to have a self-inflicted head injury right after French pops up with a similar head wound at the group’s listening session?
Seems a little too coincidental, doesn’t it?

And everything we see after that scene is meant to cast doubt on what’s real and what may have just been a coping mechanism for a traumatized survivor.

I think that’s the entire point of the show; that uncertainty.

My big question is this one…

Say that it’s all true;

[spoiler]Homer and the others are real, and the near death experiences have revealed 5 movements that can actually open inter-dimensional portals.

What makes Hap think he can force the other captives to all do the 5 movements “perfectly and with perfect feeling…” with him? [/spoiler]

ETA:

Here’s the link to a good article about the show.

I also read an interesting theory about the cafeteria. [spoiler]

My theory is that at that precise moment we are “moving” between two different dimensions. I totally agree with the “two shooters theory” (the shooting takes places in two different realities/dimensions, and the shooter is a different person in each one of them). I totally think that, in one dimension, the shooter is Steve. This dimension would be something like the “normal events without OA interference”, meaning that she never told her story to the 5, they were no friends, Steve was sent to Ashville because BBA did not “buy his freedom”, and after some time, he comes back from Ashville to kill everyone at the high-school as a revenge.
Reddit - Dive into anything
[/spoiler]

O_O

That makes even less sense than some other fan theories I’ve heard.

1 Like

I said interesting not reasonable. :wink:

*lirl

Fair point.

I tend to avoid ‘fan theory’ posts and forums in general, so that I can enjoy a show for what it is while it’s airing.

One notable exception is Breaking Bad; I had to talk to other nerds about that one, during the last 6 episodes, because no one in real life would listen.

2 Likes

Funny, just this past weekend we rewatched High Fidelity with our ‘now old enough to appreciate it’ teens and wondered what ever happened to Iben Hjejle.

2 Likes

I loved the Rathbone Holmes, but really he was more Rathbone than Holmes. His character was almost the same one in everything he played, whether he was hero or villain. Ultimately Brett was probably better as Holmes, but I can watch Rathbone all day long. (He’d have made an interesting Doctor Who.)

My wife hates Cumberbach; I can take him or leave him, but wish he was in fewer things. His mother was better, both a more talented actor and more screen magnetism.

Moffatt I’m afraid peaked with Press Gang.

I didn’t like him when the series came back, but in retrospect that is because I didn’t/don’t like the format/pacing/etc of the new series. I rewatched the Eccleston episodes a couple of years ago and TBH I prefer his portrayal to the two Doctors that came after him. (Not to Capaldi, who is in many ways a true original series Doctor.)

3 Likes

Makes sense. I actually watched the new series with the intention of never liking it because I thought it was far nerdier than I was capable of embracing.

2 modern-era Doctors later* and examining the originals and here I am turning my kids into Whovians.

*I stated earlier that I’m waiting for my daughter to catch up and we’ll watch Capaldi together.

1 Like

He is a serious fanboy about the show. He is on record that this role is pretty much his dream gig.

4 Likes

It shows, too. He always seems to be having the most fun playing the role.

3 Likes

Try this thread.

2 Likes

So you don’t want to watch my new show about a time traveling amnesiac ninja who was sent to stop his evil twin?

He is the evil twin but amnesia

3 Likes

Grrrr. No Lucifer for a month, after the last episode ends in a cliff-hanger; its resolution airs tonight, and next week’s show is the “winter finale”??? They came back for all of two episodes? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Though I suppose it could give me time to catch up on some DVDs. And I did hear the show got picked up for a full season run so whatever they’re clearly building up to for next week will eventually get at least semi-resolved later. I don’t believe for a minute that Lucifer and Chloe are really gonna get together so soon in the series. There’s bound to be more will-they-won’t-they for some time yet. And I know it’s a foolish thing to rant over (especially since foreign shows might only last a handful of episodes and have years between series.) It is still aggravating.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen that one, wasn’t it the plot of one of the Bourne sequels? Or was it a Star Trek, wasn’t Bones a ninja in one episode? Wait, that was Sulu.

2 Likes