Mr Trololo is back in a new AI upscaled version!

Originally published at: Mr Trololo is back in a new AI upscaled version! | Boing Boing

3 Likes

A new valley, so uncanny I wrote a haiku:

Uncanny valley
Trololo man grins widely,
Laughter turns to fear.

13 Likes

Uncanny valley
Shit what was in that brownie?
I think I’ve gone mad.

4 Likes

There are not really any lyrics to the song nothing was censored, it’s a vocalization style

I haven’t heard anything about it. It’s nice, of course! Thanks for good news! There is a backstory about this song. Originally, we had lyrics written for this song but they were poor. I mean, they were good, but we couldn’t publish them at that time. They contained words like these: “I’m riding my stallion on a prairie, so-and-so mustang, and my beloved Mary is thousand miles away knitting a stocking for me”. Of course, we failed to publish it at that time, and we, Arkady Ostrovsky and I, decided to make it a vocalisation. But the essence remained in the title. The song is very playful – it has no lyrics, so we had to make up something so that people would listen to it, and so this was an interesting arrangement.

— Eduard Khil[31], (in Russian)

Nobody banned its lyrics, but my father just composed the music during the period of his disagreement with Lev Oshanin. The latter told him that the lyrics are more important in a song and that a composer is nothing without a lyricist. So Dad told him during the argument, “Well, I don’t need your verses at all, I’ll manage without them.”

— Mikhail Ostrovsky, Rossiyskaya Gazeta [32], (in Russian)

6 Likes

What? You mean I was led stray by misinformation on the internet? :slight_smile: Fixed.

1 Like

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3A2ikaptS0

3 Likes

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png
duty_calls
:wink:

1 Like

This is probably not upscaled from a VHS source. It would look a lot worse. It seems like it’s based on this 480p video here:Eduard Khil - Trololo Song [HD] - YouTube and it turns Mr Khil into a Latex puppet - yuk.

Since the original video is likely a SECAM SD recording at 50Hz (a 625 line standard in Russia) it should be possible to do a proper upscale that would not look at bad as this one…

3 Likes

I can appreciate the excitement and urge to do these upscalings, but they just rarely look good. The more we get to play with these machine learning systems, the less impressive their generative results look.*

*(with exceptions and a recognition that the systems improve constantly)

1 Like

Yeah, This looks really bad. I have yet to see one from RR that looked good. I also thing many of the people that do try these don’t understand the source material either.

OH MY FUCKING GOD, IT’S RON DESANTIS! I knew that he looked familiar!

By far the best version is here:

3 Likes

Trololololo
Lip syncing in the restored
Uncanny valley

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.