Mr. Yuk will make you sick!

Wasn’t this design also part of the effort to deep-future proof nuclear waste dumps? That they wanted signs or symbols that would not require even a hint of cultural context and still warn them of a threat of death. This rings a bell in that context for me.

1 Like

I didn’t think it was, but it’s possible. I’d be surprised if it wasn’t at least influenced by it.

Yeah, I’m getting North by Northwest vibes from that image

3 Likes

This one wasn’t but that’s an ingoing effort.

The trefoil symbol was useful to people who know what the symbol already meant, but the magenta-on-yellow “propellor” did not convey the imminent danger to the uninitiated. As such the warning sign was changed to better indicate “will kill you, GTFO”. It still keeps the trefoil though

4 Likes

It’s hard to explain radiation hazard to someone who doesn’t already have a clear idea of what that means

3 Likes

I’m somehow not surprised that a person called NukeML happens to have interesting information about nuclear issues.

1 Like

It comes from some web design work I did in the 90’s for a local industrial kitchen manufacturer. I just kept using the email and handle because I didnt feel like changing it.

ETA: by web design I mean I slapped together a geocities page for the company before they went belly-up.

3 Likes

Same age here. The first year I remember well is 1976 (spirit of '76!). Sure hope that the US makes it to 250, coming in four years.

I remembered the song before even watching the video. I definitely remember it being late '70s rather than early. My brother was a toddler when the commercials were running in Idaho, and he was born in '77. Of course, everything got to Idaho about a decade late back then, so maybe it did originate in the early part of the decade.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I lived in Anchorage in the 70s, we got everything a little late. :wink:

Speaking of Centennials and such, I remember first calculating what age I’d need to live to to see the tri-centennial (104) and strangely hoping I’d live long enough to see it. The nationalistic programming was quite strong in my youth, I couldn’t give less of a shit about national anniversaries now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.