MS Paint gets layers

Originally published at: MS Paint gets layers | Boing Boing

6 Likes

TIL MS Paint still exists.

Seems like a lot of too little, too late going on here. I’ve been using the free alternates to Adobe products for years (Paint.net, the Photoshop clone, primarily), which do far more than even this updated version of MS Paint will be able to do.

• NOTE: It’s spelled Paint.net, but that is NOT the link to it. I fixed it so it points to the right website now.
7 Likes

Yup, even Snapseed on my phone is more useful than Paint, which I only ever use for screenshots.

5 Likes

Dunno, this one seems to make it sing pretty good.

8 Likes

Sure, and there are folks who recreate famous works of art with an Etch-a-sketch. That doesn’t make it a replacement for proper paint and brushes.

5e34bfdee59bb

11 Likes

Cool! They’ve got streams on their youtube:

3 Likes

This is welcome news. I still reach for mspaint nearly every day for some small task or other, or even just to drop a couple of snips for later comparison, etc. Naturally I have Paint.net for more onerous jobs (and I like it a lot) but wow, with layers and transparency in Paint I suspect I won’t need the bigger product so often any more.

6 Likes

For real basic stuff i like to use Paint as well, but anything that needs transparency and layers there are some free photoshop sites i do use but really glad to see this is a planned update :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I thought that said MS Paint gets lawyers and they were suing somebody.

3 Likes

In other news, Microsoft announces that PNG is now an executable file format.

4 Likes

Season 8 Wow GIF by The Office

Yet, you still can’t open a freaking pdf natively.

2 Likes

Honestly MS Paint remains one of my favorite tools for pixel art. Most of the things they’ve been adding don’t help with that at all, but layers would be a nice one.

2 Likes

Delete Adobe, hit the MS Paint, layer up.

5 Likes

I hear the Affinity Photo might be getting layers soon.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.