MSCHF's new project is the "ASCII Theater"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/04/mschfs-new-project-is-the-ascii-theater.html

3 Likes

I love the idea and the uselessness. Also it makes me want to log onto other sites via ssh.

2 Likes

Cool idea. It immediately started playing when I typed ssh watch.ascii.theater into my terminal
It is currently playing Showgirls, though, which I don’t want to watch even if it were in HD.

1 Like
3 Likes

I love this ASCII theater. ASCII (ANSI) art is the reason I built my own BBS when I was a kid, to display and share it. Despite the compliments, I could totally relate to user complaints that menu screens took too long to load in 1200 and even 2400 baud (impossible at 300). Hot keys saved them. That being said, I just could not get into Goodfellas because the opening credits were totally illegible and my refresh rate was too coarse. Maybe include a fast forward option?

Doesn’t work for me. Immediately disconnects on both PC and Mac. This idea reminds me, though, of the Matrix ASCII version that was popular many moons ago.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.