'Multiple Fatalities' in Florida Mass Shooting: Suspect in Custody, 20+ Injured at Parkland's Stoneman Douglas High School

Thanks, I’d forgotten to include that one.

24 Likes

Hey Man! You know this wouldn’t have happened if every single member of the student body and staff were armed with fully automatic weapons.

Hmm… Ok, gotta be fair about it. Jocks and gym teachers get the biggest guns. Chess club only gets derringers. Principal needs something really big but respectable.

Sorry, I don’t know guns well enough to make this sound better.

3 Likes

According to one report he pulled the fire alarm to get people out of their locked classrooms.

Apparently we routinely lock classrooms now as a precaution against all too common school shootings.

12 Likes

64 Likes

They didn’t change their tune after 20 kindergarten kids were gunned down, so don’t expect anything different now. Empty thoughts and prayers will be offered by GOP politicians, the NRA will roll out the usual Bernays-inspired campaign of FUD and BS, and Real Americans™ who wrap up an unhealthy amount of their identity with firearms will fall right into line.

22 Likes

Also, Florida has the “stand your ground” law. So all the shooter has to do is declare “I felt threatened by all these people!” and they get to go home, not even without supper.

Christ, what a country.

10 Likes

Perhaps we’ve changed from a nation that might aspire to change for the better by any means necessary, to a nation that only cares about scoring political points on their imaginary opposition, trotting out the same tired memes knowing that they aren’t helping and in many cases not truly wanting any real change at all.

6 Likes

Waiting for the usual gun advocates to show up in the conversation, correcting minor points of legislation, giving useless technical informations and dismissing arguments.

12 Likes

Silly me, they already show up.

8 Likes

But Trump confidant, Alex Jones, says Sandy Hook never happened.

5 Likes

22 Likes

Boy Republicans just want people to fucking die.

14 Likes

We just need to update it to have some rubles falling out of the NRA’s pockets.

Even when it’s their own politicians getting shot at, they can’t care enough to do something about it.

The depressing irony is that all the 2nd Amendment conservatives daydreaming of overthrowing a tyrannical government with their pop guns ARE the tyrannical government reinforcing a culture of violence that leads to the preventable deaths of innocents.

15 Likes
40 Likes

On this day in 1929 in Chicago, seven mobsters where gunned down in what was called the St Valentine’s Day massacre which sparked public outrage against organized crime.

Today at least 17 high schoolers were killed and I don’t doubt even with the outrage that nothing will be done

25 Likes

I give it less than a day before we hear the old tired ‘now is not the time to debate gun laws! how crude of you to even suggest it! harrumph!’

Wingnuts are all too busy mourning the bankruptcy of Remington.

America we have a problem and it is us.

12 Likes

In his many aspects, and always in partnership with Mammon. While firearms are his bloodiest incarnation, there are others. Two recent examples:

11 Likes

Which seems to be the immediate reaction on some parts of the web to this shooting. (And also claiming that violence is going up elsewhere in the first world.) To which I can only say, “Great, now we’ve only got a murder rate that’s eight times greater than it is in, say, the Netherlands, rather than seventeen times greater!”
Yeah, things are getting safer in the US, and that’s great, but “safer” than a starting point equivalent to low-intensity warfare.

I can’t even really get upset about mass/school shootings anymore. I mean, what’s the point? Americans have apparently decided that this is an acceptable aspect of the America they’ve decided we’re going to live in.

21 Likes
15 Likes

Clearly guys… we need MORE guns… /s

8 Likes