'Multiple Fatalities' in Florida Mass Shooting: Suspect in Custody, 20+ Injured at Parkland's Stoneman Douglas High School

And that is what is going to happen if the only voices in the discussion are those who are calling for radical action and those who say nothing is workable. People who want something other than an eventual extreme backlash against guns and gun ownership had better start proposing solutions that work instead of denying that such solutions could exist.

12 Likes

dafuq are you talking about? The Good Guys With Guns™ had months and years to ‘see something, say something’, and they did nothing.

Stupid myth is stupid. And a myth.

17 Likes

To be honest, I prefer these “good guys with guns” not being around, as they would exponentially add to the confusion, and risk shooting one another, shooting innocents while trying to shoot what they think is the gunman, getting shot by the cops, and generally make everything worse for everyone.

10 Likes

Sort of like this?

4 Likes

Literally true, and before the usual suspects try to deny it:

13 Likes

The Hinkley method isn’t effective anymore, either. See Steve Scalise, 2017. I think @gracchus was referring to the Huey P. Newton method.

4 Likes

Fair enough and I agree on people with mental illness getting the help they need. But we all know that that isn’t the goal of course.

7 Likes

Here’s what der furheur did -

about a year ago.

Florida has the most lax gun laws in the country.

7 Likes

So much for the conspiracy nuts and ruskie bots trying to call him a liberal and a member of antifa on twitter the past 24 hours

14 Likes

Mass shootings have been ramping up for over a decade. Gun control laws were weakened in that time, but more important things happened. AR-15 like semi-automatic rifles designed for shooting lots of people became much more common and affordable. Also the right ran a huge fear campaign and gun/ammo buying went absolutely bananas while we had a black president.

Then that soaked for some years.

Its like a huge number of do-your-own-mass-shooting kits were sprinkled across the land.

That guy in Las Vegas. Bought guns for years, then decided to suicide and kill a lot of people on his way out.

This kid in Florida. Orphaned, moved in with a gun nut. Got all mega-teen-angsty-crazy and decided to take it out on his school using the pile of guns in his new home.

We have allowed the capacity for mass shooting to build. Build the capacity and the corpses will follow.

You know what happened in every other country? Very few shootings, far fewer mass killings. Because they don’t let people pile up heaps of guns like this. They remove one of the most effective means for mass killing.

Means, Motive, Opportunity.

Other countries make mass killings, and just murder in general, much less common by attacking the Means. We don’t.

I’d say they also do a better on Motive. Our country seems bent on becoming a worse place to live, people get pushed over the edge. With the DACA mess we are risking getting far worse there.

You can’t do much about Opportunity, unless you are willing to look like North Korea.

19 Likes

Run-of-the-mill conservative racists can’t brush him off as a “lone wolf” anymore, since he had joined a rabid pack. He’s not the first, either:

14 Likes

As someone on Twitter pointed out, it took eight men firing rifles into a packed crowd to kill five civilians in the Boston Massacre, and it was such a source of outrage that it’s widely considered to be an inciting incident for the Revolutionary War. Now one person kills seventeen kids in a school and it’s just another Wednesday.

22 Likes

I am pleased to have provided you the opportunity to express your repugnance!

All the hipsters will think you are the coolest frood in town now, and only 20 kids had to die for it. What a bargain for you!

I suspect my own brand of humor above isn’t going to please you, so I’m glad you won’t dismiss it.

Bingo. But it’s actually much worse than that simple duality.

Evyerbody’s taking actions well proven to make the situation worse. The media are glorifying killers, the politicians are exacerbating tribal schisms (particularly the rural/urban divide), the anti-gun-fetishists are driving gun sales ever higher, the pro-gun-fetishists are supporting organizations like the NRA, everyone’s making it worse.

It’s all people shouting past each other over a heap of dead bodies, only the more they shout, the faster the bodies pile up.

3 Likes

Public outrage in 1929, yet organized crime continued to grow, becoming “bigger than General Motors” by the late 1950’s. From there, it’s a short hop over JFK’s dead body to the Nixon White House …

Update: changed “1959” to “late 1950’s”.

2 Likes

“That’s actually an excellent idea. We can start by finding out what gun owners who shoot school children have in common”

They’re men.

Men shouldn’t be allowed to own guns.

20 Likes

This is a marginal problem. Stop making new AR-15s, and the old ones will become expensive as they get scarce. The problem is that it is entirely legal to manufacture these guns, dudes aren’t smelting them in their backyards.

2 Likes

I long for the day that we apply the 2nd amendment to how it was originally defined. You can own all the single shot muzzle loading muskets you want. Anything else is not acceptable.

3 Likes

It’s still important to remember the cause of death for those dead bodies though, and that one side is arguing that their recreational activity shouldn’t be infringed on over the deaths of those bodies.

I understand the emotions tied to guns - the heirlooms, the histories, the importance at various instances in time, the mythologies and folklore. However, the age of every citizen needing a gun has past. It hasn’t past for 100% of people, but it’s past for at least 70% of people.

13 Likes

Except one side is saying we need to do something to stop this, and the other side, heavily funded by the firearms industry, is saying we don’t need to do anything.

13 Likes

I think it’s important to note that literally everything drives gun-fetishists to buy more guns (and the NRA is definitely doing its part to whip them up with whatever shiny object they can think of). Democratic presidents, Democratic resistance to a Republican president, the mere existence of the New York Times, anti-gun absolutists, people who just want a more comprehensive background check system, anyone suggesting the CDC be allowed to study the issue more freely, the list goes on. If “don’t piss off the people who are proven to want to buy more guns just to spite liberals” is the bar we have to clear to talk about this problem, there’s going to be precious little talking at all.

16 Likes