'Multiple Fatalities' in Florida Mass Shooting: Suspect in Custody, 20+ Injured at Parkland's Stoneman Douglas High School

I heard tell that an immigrant with the name of “Cruz” tried to run for President!

4 Likes

Anybody notice if it’s snowing in hell today?

“Attorney General Jeff Sessions said he wants the Justice Department to study how mental illness and gun violence intersect, to better understand how law enforcement can better use existing laws to intervene before these school shootings happen.”

5 Likes

It’d be ironic if he’d asked the CDC to conduct that study.

12 Likes

Nah, “study mental illness” means “try to look like you are doing something”.

12 Likes

They all have high capacity weaponry that they didn’t have to go through any real background check to get, and no shooter ever will because private sales aren’t regulated. They all were able to obtain these firearms because the market is flooded and the cost of obtaining these specific weapons is very low. They all had access to these firearms at a moments notice because there are no restrictions of the storing of weapons. They were able to transport these weapons freely because there are no restrictions on transportation of firearms that preclude being able to manage their dissemination.

When we take care of those problems, then we can start talking about “mental health” (that republicans don’t give two shits about unless it has to do with protecting the inalienable right to have as many semi-automatic rifles and high capacity magazines as any person desires).

13 Likes

I’m more concerned that they try to criminalise mentally ill behaviour, regardless of actual threat.

16 Likes

No, because the post I replied to specifically suggested that it’s up to gun owners to distinguish between responsible and irresponsible gun owners.

This guy sounds like a pretty good candidate for “irresponsible gun owner” to me.

He preened with guns and knives on social media, bragged about shooting rats with his BB gun and got kicked out of school — in part because he had brought bullets in his backpack, according to one classmate. He was later expelled for still-undisclosed disciplinary reasons.

The portrait of Nikolas Cruz, suspected of fatally shooting 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland and wounding 15 others at his former school, is a troubled teen with few friends and an obsessive interest in weapons. Administrators considered him enough of a potential threat that one teacher said a warning was emailed last year against allowing him on the campus with a backpack.

1 Like

So where were the good guys with guns, calling him out?

Nowhere. That’s where. And that’s where they’ll always be found hiding.

10 Likes

Nope. Unseasonable warmth with a high chance of rain.

Sessions is trying to deflect from the possibility that the shooter (or any white guy who commits a mass murder) might have been motivated by racism and/or misogyny. Gotta be mental illness, no other possible explanation can be explored.

11 Likes

And if he hadn’t been able to easily get those weapons? If they had been restricted with actual restrictions that prevented a teenager from easily grabbing then and heading off to school?

5 Likes

That’d be a way to fill up those private prisons. Reagan missed a chance by kicking them to the curb.

1 Like

The more severely mentally ill people aren’t good workers. When the republicans realise that, expect to see shit like this.

EuthanasiePropaganda-1

It’s not too late to avert it, but we can’t miss our chance in November.

4 Likes

I’m afraid that would not end well. America may not be exceptional, but it is certainly unique.

As Rick said in Casablanca, “Well there are certain sections of New York, Major, that I wouldn’t advise you to try to invade.”

1 Like

But them back. Make them illegal to own. No grandfather.

4 Likes

They’ll get on that just as soon as they put out that bump stock legislation they talked about a few months ago.

6 Likes

That would not end well at all. How do you get people who want to own weapons to give up weapons? Particularly when they’ve been warned for decades that the govt was coming for their guns?

1 Like

Doing nothing is not a option.

Doing nothing is not a option. These weapons must be destroyed. It’s going to be messy and uneven but it has to happen.

1 Like

I would politely suggest that those with firearms who obey and respect the laws were nowhere near the school, as that is highly illegal in the U.S.

That sounds disturbingly like we had to destroy the village to save it.

1 Like