2 dead, suspect in custody after California school shooting

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/14/2-dead-suspect-in-custody-aft.html

3 Likes

This should also be noted

22 Likes

What could possibly be done to mitigate these sorts of things? :woman_shrugging:

24 Likes

The Google location tag in your header pic looks like “Santa Claus shooting”.

Wait, Google has tags for shootings now?

6 Likes

You think we’re more than one step from “There are injured singles in your area!”?

27 Likes

suspect in custody

So the suspect is a White male, then?

22 Likes

The shooter is 16 years old and is in critical condition; police say he shot himself.

A most proposal (even though I hate that cliche):

• People who legally own guns should be made to suffer draconian punishments if, through negligence, someone else uses their gun for a crime. This 16-year old could not have legally purchased the gun he used, so finding out how he got it deserves investigation.
  • These punishments should be strongly advertised via PSAs, signs mandated at gun stores, etc. “Someone takes your gun? You do the time.” Gun owners need to be afraid to leave guns unsecured.
  • Punishments for breaking gun laws should be proportional to how deadly the gun is. Leaving a loaded AR-15 on the seat of your unlocked car should be a much more serious offense than if it were a bolt action .22. When purchasing a gun, people should have to consider whether the want the extra liability that comes with the extra firepower.
23 Likes

Soon:

“Explore Santa Clara” … restaurants, bars, attractions, hotels, hospitals, gun shot trauma centers, morgues.

6 Likes

A very good point. I do agree there should be penalties for completely unsecured firearms. While nothing is 100%, there should be some method of securing firearms. Gun locks are free from various places, for example.

3 Likes

Come on, it’s way too soon to be asking those questions. /s

12 Likes

I believe that was pretty much confirmed at “school shooting.”

10 Likes

Thoughts and prayers.

19 Likes

“The sheriff’s department earlier described the suspect as an Asian male.”

3 Likes

While I more or less agree with your other point, this would just open the door for endless delay while gun fetishists argued, in staggering esoteric detail, about which guns were deadlier, and in which hypothetical situations.

Rhetorical question: How dead would a schoolchild be if shot in the head with this firearm?
Answer: 100%

Serious question: Why should anyone have the opportunity to find out?

10 Likes

This is basically the Assault Weapons Ban. Turns out that it’s really hard to quantify what makes something an extra deadly kind of gun and there’s a whole industry around finding loopholes and exploiting them, to the point of ridiculousness like bump stocks.

Probably better to just treat all firearms as deadly weapons and litigate based on how they were used.

6 Likes

That’s probably true. If you go on any gun discussion boards online, you’ll find that’s what they already do. I just think it’s idiotic that there are only two classes of (legal) firearm in the US: long guns and hand guns. All the laws, penalties, purchasing age, etc that apply to the little gun I used for rifle shooting merit badge in Boy Scouts are identical to the ones for a high-caliber, semi-automatic with a detachable magazine.

This is basically the Assault Weapons Ban. Turns out that it’s really hard to quantify what makes something an extra deadly kind of gun

Other countries have multiple classes of firearm. And deadliness, as I see it, should be a matter of energy output over time. For any gun, take the caliber and muzzle velocity times firing rate minus reload time over a set duration, say 60 seconds.

4 Likes

Apparently the answer to that is little more than “tradition.”

6 Likes

The NRA should be disbanded for not serving a charitable purpose.

10 Likes

It’s pretty easy to do to my satisfaction.

3 Likes

This is not to criticise you in any way, but the gun lobby will probably be happy if the response to this shooting is confined to arguments over this one issue.

2 Likes