2 dead, suspect in custody after California school shooting

I think that it is already done this way in many countries in Europe. Also, typically there is legal requirement that guns are stored in a safe that is bolted to the wall and has to meet some defined security standards (this is actively enforced, with police officers checking safe when the permit is issued). Storing guns improperly results in owner’s gun permit being taken away.

1 Like

That wouldn’t make me terribly sad if this did get more of a response. I think school shootings are especially horrific, and almost all of the ones I’m familiar with were perpetrated by a student of the school who is a minor, and therefore couldn’t legally obtain a gun on their own. If we could prevent legal gun owners allowing their guns to be used in crimes, that prevents almost all school shootings.

2 Likes

More young lives rubbed out for the sake of NRA gun loving ammo sexuals. NRA needs to be listed as a homegrown American terrorist group…

13 Likes

I’d argue for litigating based on who needs them in the first place.

Ah, got it. So deadliness is not measured in terms of how dead someone is who catches a given class of bullet, but in terms of dead units/minute for a given class of firearm. All we need to do is agree on acceptable numbers.

3 Likes

Exactly. And ways that might be easier to argue than most gun laws: One, it’s not an equipment ban of any kind. Politicians are not “taking your gun.” Two, the most common argument against gun laws is “Why are you punishing the millions of lawful gun owners for the actions of a few bad apples?” Increasing penalties for misuse or negligence only applies to bad apples. If you’re a lawful gun owner, you are not affected at all.

Of course, I don’t think for a minute that the NRA and their members would see it that way. They think even so-called “common sense” gun control is just the start of a slippery slope towards banning all guns.

7 Likes

Just to make myself perfectly clear, I was talking about “acceptable numbers” of dead children.

I really need to use the /s tag more.

5 Likes

The problem is that in CA we already have this law. You’re required to secure firearms so that they’re rendered non-functional. This can be with a CA approved gun lock or an approved safe etc…

Clearly this kid (and very possibly his parents or whoever he stole the gun from), weren’t too concerned with existing laws.

4 Likes

Its called insurance. An uninsured gun owner whose weapon is misused, should be penalized the same way as an uninsured motorist.

3 Likes

It really is a telling point when gun owners whine about being butt hurt at the thought of not having access to any and all types of weapons. Yet the fear of life and limb experienced by students counts for nothing. Somehow this seems a bit lopsided.

8 Likes

Indeed. I am enraged by the argument that the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. It ignores huge portions of the population for whom that is not legal, practical, or possible.

5 Likes

The only minor nitpick I have with that is that the harshness of punishment, it turns out, does not lead to a proportionate deterrent for crime. It’s why the death penalty doesn’t affect murder rates (or even, by some studies, increases the murder rate). Certainty of punishment determines the deterrent effect. So along with your proposal, it would also be necessary to have firearm owner licensing (or an equivalent mandatory insurance program) tied to the serial numbers of purchased firearms. Then, any firearm recovered from the scene of a shooting can be traced back to the registered owner.

2 Likes

13 Likes

Gun Nut, “But, you are saying that my Civil War Cannon, loaded with grapeshot (I only use it for home defence) is as deadly as a fully automatic weapon?!”

I say ban them all. If people want to kill each other, make them do it as God intended; with the jawbone of an ass. That’s in the Bible. How could “Traditionalists” argue against that?

Regarding the shooting, this sounds like another murder/suicide* exacerbated by access to firearms. It is sad for all of the kids involved.

*My advice to anyone contemplating this is to always try the suicide part first to see how that goes; then, if successful, move on to the murder.

1 Like

The NRA should be disbanded for money laundering.

3 Likes

So… Murder insurance?

1 Like

Yeah…

…but also no.

Step one is always to seek help. 1-800-273-8255

6 Likes

Good point.

1 Like

If you like, call it what you want. Though most people call it liability insurance.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.