Murder hornet eludes scientists trying to electronically track it to its secret lair

“We’ve traced the signal. It’s coming from within the lab.”

7 Likes

Key word here is no doubt “stingless”…

Having lived in a country where these guys normally reside and battled my share of hand sized spiders and poisonous centipedes, I am very comfortable supporting efforts to keep these guys out of my current country of residence. If the exterminators refuse to come to your house to deal with an infestation of Asian Giant Hornets I feel at least some of the hype is earned.

2 Likes

I think I’ve mentioned my childhood friend Ricky here before, but he’s a punk/skinhead (old-school, two-tone loving variety, not racist dickhead), taxidermist / gamekeeper.

When wasps built their nest in my Dad’s car-parking space, Ricky came along and went in hardcore.

Not choosing to fuck about, he used cyanide to get rid of the bastards.

Man’s a legend.

1 Like

That is rare beacause is a Peugeot 405 cabriolet

2 Likes

I dunno man, this sounds a lot like the story about the miceb"Bellingham the cat". Do you want to try gluing something on a “murder wasp” the size of a small bird? What happens if it gets stuck?

In my mind I keep hearing the murder wasp buzz in Rorsarch “I’m not stuck to you. You’re the one stuck to MEEEE!!!”

2 Likes

It’s 2020, so I expect nothing less than mass murder hornets and WMD hornets before Dec 31st.

2 Likes

RE: glue failure, I’d be curious to know if there is some sort of nanoscale-hairs/scales/similar biological surface treatment witchcraft at work.

It’s not exactly uncommon for organisms to have spooky clever small scale surface features with adaptive properties; and when you are a (relatively) small flying creature whose day job involves a confused-but-enthusiastic attempt to honor Khorne in beehives(you can’t fault their effort; but when bees have neither skulls nor blood…) it seems like having a coating that renders you less likely to get caked in gore and honey, either increasing your flight mass or actively hindering your movement, could be really handy.

4 Likes

“I put the ‘laughter’ in ‘slaughter’!”

3 Likes

I so want one of these, but the cheapest I’ve found it was $79 without shipping. I tad expensive for the novelty of a 6 inch murder hornet model.

Needs a “Delightful Creatures” tag.

3 Likes

Maybe a new fashion statement.

1 Like

From what I’ve seen, the hornets chop up the bodies of the bees. Some they take home and some they leave on the ground, so chances are the tracker will be discarded. Also, if the tracker is small enough to fit inside a live honeybee, it’s small enough to glue to a murder hornet.

1 Like

Although I agree they don’t go around looking for humans to murder, once you see what only a few of these suzumebachi can do to an entire beehive, the moniker is appropriate.

1 Like

Came to make sure someone had posted this. Thank you and good day.

1 Like

That sounds really reasonable to have some means to not get bogged down in sticky goo.

Also, “Gore & Honey” or maybe “Honey Gore” next band name calling dibs now. I’m actually considering getting back into making music and was thinking about band names just yesterday. Was considering “Agri Gravitatis” but that’s a mouthful and and probably breaks a bunch of Latin rules.

Having glued a lot of things to a lot of insects, I’ve found tissue adhesive that instantly attaches to skin will often come right off of insect carapace. To get glue to stick well, you want to use something abrasive like sand paper to make the surface rougher. I also have had success using mixes of wax and glue, sometimes adding in tiny strips of tissue paper to make it more like a cast. If done right, I’ve managed to get electrodes glued in place on a grasshopper to stay put for up to 6 months

9 Likes

9 out of 10 Dentist’s choose dental floss.
Hornet wranglers, not so much.

3 Likes

Living a couple counties away from where these are being found, I also support efforts to stop their spread (and the spread of other invasive species).

The name is stupid. They’re not called by that regrettable nickname in their native range. Some asshole made up a clickbait name and y’all ate it up.

1 Like

No argument with you on that. Europe and American have a long history of painting Asia as exotic, and all that entails. Hell, Japan does it to themselves as a political strategy. Still don’t want these guys in my new neighborhood.

1 Like