Museum display of toys confiscated from London schoolchildren

Conkers!

Here’s the same guy being interviewed about his line of Halloween costumes: http://vimeo.com/77732818

Ah, so basically Dudley Dursley, then. No big loss.

I never had anything more valuable than a spitball blowgun improvised from a Bic pen barrel taken from me, although there was one mortifying episode in seventh grade in which I emptied the contents of three vending-machine-size bags of malted milk balls into one pocket, intending to munch on them in class and not wanting to be caught, but I was caught anyway and had to throw them all in the trash, in front of the whole class. One of my friends said that I had so many that it was like watching clowns pile out of a clown car.

2 Likes

One possible reason why some items weren’t claimed even in cases where that could have been done is that the kids did not want to admit ownership. That doesn’t even have to mean that the items were acquired illegally or that there is anything objectionable about the items themselves. Parents often take a dim view of kids trading their stuff with varying degrees of consent, kids trying to buy friends etc.

Was there a Game Gear included?

2 Likes

That’s funny. One of my teachers used to say, “Have you brought enough for everybody?” In that case you would have won, because you’d be able to say, “Why, yes, of course!” and ostentatiously hand out two or three to each person.

2 Likes

My dad (a teacher) confiscated an iPod Shuffle a while ago. The girl didn’t want it back, even at the end of the year when my dad cleared all the junk from his desk and took it to her. I suspect she was wealthy, and found it easier to tell her parents she’d lost / broken it, and needed a new one, rather than admit she’d been using it in class.

1 Like

I’d like to know why they were confiscated. What was the “rule” being broken? What is so terrible about children carrying toys?

I dunno, man, kids start carrying toys, and then they start carrying guns, and pretty soon the cat is dead. So you gotta nip that stuff right in the bud. Plus, rules. Plus, reasons. Plus, I have no idea what this non-sequitur post is about, floating freely in space like this; I’m just yanking your chain.

3 Likes

Generally, toys get confiscated in schools because the kids are being distracted by them, or being distracting with them. The issue isn’t the toys, it’s managing classroom attention. If the toy isn’t causing trouble, there’s no reason to notice it exists.

Doesn’t matter a damn bit. These were taken from children. We don’t allow children to sign contracts, drink alcohol, or otherwise manage their affairs in many different ways. It isn’t up to children to request their property back, it’s up to the adult schoolteachers to return these items - and fuck them for not doing so. There is no middle ground here - it was taken and not returned, period. This is not confiscated property, this is stolen property.

1 Like

Oh, that wasn’t meant to be an excuse, just an explanation why criminal teachers aren’t brought to justice as often as one would hope.

1 Like

I gotcha, I’m sorry if I bummed you out using your words to get my own feelings across there. This display really bummed me out - educational responsibility in all forms is super lose my mind important to me.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.