Museum refuses DNA test on suspiciously large "pet" frog

Originally published at: Giant frog hoax? The whiskey-drinking amphibian of New Brunswick - Boing Boing

1 Like

Contributed by Popkin

3 Likes

Yeah, no way that thing was a living frog

2 Likes

swears that it’s real (and refuses to do DNA testing on the frog’s remains

Or, in other words, we know its not real.

5 Likes

I would like to know more about the circumstances under which this frog “died in a dynamite blast”.

I suspect there’s a story, or quite possibly the plot of an entire 3-hour blockbuster action movie, there.

“I’m taking you villains with me,” Uberfrog croaked, touching the match to the fuse …

9 Likes

As the Atlas Obscura article notes the frog on display doesn’t even resemble the one in the photo, but I guess urban (rural?) legends don’t need to be consistent to capture the public imagination.

1 Like

Michael Bay’s Frogcaolypse?

2 Likes

We didn’t need a dark, gritty reboot of the Frog & Toad cinematic universe

2 Likes

Understandable - you can’t even do a DNA test on plaster or papier-mâché.

On the island of Madagascar, about 70 million years ago, there dwelled a giant devil frog, Beelzebufo ampinga, an extinct creature believed to be the biggest frog that ever lived on this planet. It was about 10 pounds. The current world record for the largest frog was an African “goliath” frog - it was on the high end of 7 pounds. So what I’m saying here is, this is clearly a species of frog unparalleled in both the modern world and the fossil record - we need to get all the batrachiologists on site, now, and the palaeontologists, too! They need to be swarming the place, this is a hugely important specimen!

Well, when you do taxidermy on a plaster frog, it naturally ends up looking quite different.

What’s interesting to me is that the original photo appears to be a photo-montage, yet the frog in it still doesn’t look real.

6 Likes

Yes, but could he sing the Michigan Rag?

5 Likes

5 Likes

There is a big frog* on the Caribbean islands of Dominica and Montserrat. They called them Mountain Chicken and ate a lot of them. Around 2020, a fungus wiped most of them out.

*The big frog in this case is 2.2 pounds.

2 Likes
2 Likes

One of Ray Milland’s finest efforts. :wink: An apocryphal story maintains that upon being offered the part, Milland’s reponse was “I’ll do it, but I’m not touching one damned frog!”

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.