Museum visitor injured after stepping into pit he thought was a painting on the floor

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/20/museum-visitor-injured-after-s.html

4 Likes

60 years old and he never went through S1 Tomb of Horrors?

29 Likes

And then received his check for promotional services from Kapoor.

21 Likes

i’m still trying to wrap my head around how someone can have worldwide exclusive rights to a COLOR.

23 Likes

Did he died?

I’m curious why a pit like this doesn’t have railings but i suppose that’s part of the experience. Still seems likely that someone would inevitably do this very thing. Also depending on which version of Vantablack was used the gentleman may have inhaled some of the particles from the paint which are very nasty.

Vantablack S-VIS, can be sprayed onto surfaces. The experimental new material has, in theory, a huge potential for artistic applications, however, according to Surrey NanoSystem’s FAQ page, “Vantablack is generally not suitable for use in art due to the way in which it’s made.

It’s also potentially dangerous. Vantablack’s nanotubules can come loose and irritate the eyes and respiratory system. The original version could only be used on substances with a melting point higher than 1022° F, implying that it would melt generally anything less heat resistant. The substance has a “specific target organ toxicity—single exposure,” which means, according to the Globally Harmonised System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals, that it can cause “non-lethal, but reversible or irreversible damage to specific organs after contact.” All these warnings are already attached to the substance, and it hasn’t even been fully tested."

*source

16 Likes

He owns the exclusive rights to the formula for a really black “black”. Other formulas exist to achieve the same effect that anyone can buy (except for Anish Kapoor) https://www.culturehustle.com/products/black-v1-0-beta-the-world-s-mattest-flattest-blackest-art-material

15 Likes
22 Likes

Christ, what an artist.

24 Likes

If the alternative black pigments are visually indistinguishable from the pigment that Kapoor has licensed, it seems to me like he’s pissed away a chunk of change.

1 Like

Yup, easily predictable event happens.

8 Likes

I’m betting I’m not the only one that clicked on this hoping there might be a video.

17 Likes

I’m glad the gentleman didn’t get injured but seems quite predictable

4 Likes

Slightly boggled that he made the pit so deep when a one foot pit would look exactly the same.

37 Likes

Why not a vantablack-coated safety net in the hole?

25 Likes

With Vantablack sharp metal spikes underneath it that you can’t see

24 Likes

I hope he sues.

2 Likes

I know. And turns out he only owns the license to the original carbon nanotube-based version (Vantablack S-VIS); the company later released a non-nanotube version (Vantablack VBx) which anyone can use.

Insert ha-ha gif here

11 Likes

That’s horrible but now I want a large circular storage hole in the wall painted like this so it looks like a portable hole.

11 Likes

So why even go through the trouble (and obvious risk) of making an 8-foot-deep pit if a flat circle or at least a much shallower pit would be visually indistinguishable?

10 Likes