Music: "Jam on it," Newcleus (1984)

[Permalink]

Wiki wiki wiki – shut up!

To this day, the song replays in my head when people speak of “the wiki”.

And sometimes I get stuck on this guy:

5 Likes

TWIKI, Doctor Theopolis and Space Arnold.

1 Like

Just sent a note to Cosmo D that this was linked here! I miss the days of early hiphop…this stuff was awesome and nothing else ever sounded like it before or after.

2 Likes

Tell Cosmo D and Lady E they are amazing.

1 Like

I used to break to it when I was seven, too! Tell him “keep the faith.”

here’s a cross-post to a pic of my copy in the comments of the Hip Hop Family Tree that covers this release.

EDIT: the scenes featured in the video are Turbo (Boogaloo Shrimp) with the broom in Breakin’, and Rock Steady crew vs I believe the New York City Breakers in Beat Street, if anyone cares.

4 Likes

here is the official video

3 Likes

Being the gear geek that I am I had to track down the gear list for Newcleus.

1 Like

That takes me back to the 5th grade or so :smile:
You might also want to add “Friends” by Whodini, “You Talk Too Much” by Run-DMC, “Roxanne, Roxanne” by UTFO & “White Horse” by Laid Back. Damn, I am getting old. LOL

1 Like

@Ed_Piskor did a strip about “Roxanne Roxanne” two weeks ago and is covering the Roxanne wars right now over in The Hip Hop Family Tree. you should check it out, it’s great. He’s also done a few involving Whodini and many with Run DMC.

one of my all-time jams!

2 Likes

This one seems to be a better copy of that same video.

Well, see, back in my day, a hoe-down like that was called a jamboree.

Smooth moves :smile:

1 Like

Listen to the whole Jam On Revenge album. It’s great, not just that one song. The whole thing has a sci-fi vibe to it, and it sort of seems like it has a story arc. I once asked Cozmo D (from outer space who came to rock the human race) whether that was intentional, but he said it wasn’t! The producer, Joe Webb, put them together to make it seem like that.

“Wikkiwikkiwikki” was the sound of a record scratching, and a rival DJ said that to Cozmo after a battle to tell Newcleus how they “were bad but couldn’t scratch.”

3 Likes

When I was small, it’s always sounded as “Jambonni” and that’s what I would go around singing. I still slip into my version sometimes now, but only a few have any idea what I’m singing.

1 Like

Bingo Jed had the light on…

There’s a bathroom on the right

1 Like

My favorite personal example of this is the Spencer Davis Group’s “I’m a Man.” That’s the one that goes, “I’m a man, yes I am, but I can’t help but love you so.” For years and years, I thought it went, “I’m a bad Messiah but I can’t help but love you so.” I still think my version is so much more evocative.

1 Like

I used to breakdance to this track as well! I was seven in 1984. :smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.