Music theorist breaks down the beautiful noise and anger of NIN's "Wish"

Originally published at: Music theorist breaks down the beautiful noise and anger of NIN's "Wish" | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Possibly anger would be a better word than angry in this context?

1 Like

I love listening to a good musician and/or music theorist break down songs and explain how they are working to do what they do for the listener. Especially songs I know well and love. Rick Beato does this in his What Makes This Song Great series, and I highly recommend it. Going to add this one to my rotation, too.

EDIT: and they’re both very different takes on music. Rick is more focused on chord selection, how the instruments are blended, and technique. ixi here is focused on our emotional reactions and how the artist plays with our expectations. Love them both for different reasons.

2 Likes

Cool find! Thanks!

Sir this is a blog

The brightness of the video keeps cycling and it was very hard to watch. I ended up just listening to it and I don’t think I missed much.

Great analysis. Edit: I missed the part where it was said this channel only does NIN songs. Okay, I’m subscribing for that!

1 Like

The woman doing the analysis doesn’t visually match with my expectations for a NIN listener (of which I am one) It’s very strange. More so that she’s doing NIN stuff exclusively. I’m real curious now

3 Likes

WISH THERE WAS SOMETHING REAL,
WISH THERE WAS SOMETHING TRUE…
WISH THERE WAS SOMETHING REAL,
THIS - BUD’S - FOR - YOU!!

come on. i’m not the only one who sings it like that

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.