My favorite cheap T-shirts are on sale today

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/20/my-favorite-cheap-t-shirts-are.html

4 Likes

$2.48 per shirt w/ tax included, can’t beat that with a stick.

2 Likes

I like that they fit me pretty well, when generally I need my shirts to be “long” (and no-one sells long tshirts anymore).

3 Likes

But do they have them in organic v-neck with contrast piping?

Lands End sells long tshirts.

1 Like

And I’m wearing an LL Bean long shirt, although the cut is weird and uncomfortable, but they are otherwise pretty rare. REI stopped supporting the size a few years ago, right after I discovered their UV protection shirts, alas.

Hmmm I should buy a big package of these to make into hair towels. A white cotton t-shirt is the best thing for drying curly hair.

1 Like

Challenge accepted!

3 Likes

Good point

You dissing my hobby?

2 Likes

Um, Gildan has some serious labour issues. Apart from the Haitian factory issues, they just bought Spectrum’s old factory in Bangladesh (one of the least regulated labour markets on earth). Spectrum is the company that saw 80 of its workers killed due to poor factory conditions. While Gildan has improved that factory they just bought in one of the most exploitive labour markets on earth, their CEO said very recently, he is committed to continuing to lower prices in garment creation. We are at a point where lowering the cost of garment creation is causing serious harm to workers, including those Bangladeshi garment workers who are producing Gildan’s newest shirts. This is not a company that has any concern for its employees and has been linked to serious labour abuses. Why would you buy Gildan - let alone recommend them? I’ll name drop littleyellowbird.co.nz (my fave - so love them). There are other companies out there - but please, Americans, spend a few extra dollars on your shirts. If it costs USD 2, someone made it in a sweat shop.

6 Likes

My favorite cheap T-shirts are on sale today

…and since BB gets a commission on every one you buy, dear readers, we can’t be arsed by the fact that pre-teens in 3rd world countries are getting paid next to nothing to make them for us.

3 Likes

Any chance you could name drop something in Canada?

Notorious, unrepentant sweatshop abusers. It’s 2019, there are so many better options including better materials, cut and labor practices. Could have been a great opportunity for some comparative writing.

2 Likes

I believe I have the same long-torso problem, regular-length shirts basically end at my belt. Columbia used to make some long “performance” T-shirts that I really liked, but boy were they pricey. Recently my wife found some cotton long T-shirts from Eddie Bauer and American Eagle that I really like the fit of, not sure how much they cost though.

ETA: I can’t believe I forgot Carhartt long T-shirts. Those are really the best IMO, although the material is pretty thick and they require quite a few wash cycles to soften up. I wear them for work every day, they really hold up well. Worth every penny.

1 Like

I don’t actually! I was born in the great white north, but it’s been almost 20 years since I spent more than a week there! I’d search for WFTO or fair trade tee shirts. Be very careful of companies that just say “ethically sourced” or similar nonsense. Just ordered a batch of tees from a large American producer (I won’t name them) who was selling Gildan shirts from Bangladesh as “ethically sourced”. When we asked them how they could do this, they mentioned something about the organic nature of the cotton - sheesh - and gave us a full refund (which is against their policy) and asked us to dispose of the merch. Basically just search for WFTO (although getting WTFO cert is not a simple process, and just because a company doesn’t have WTFO certification, doesn’t mean it isn’t fair trade - especially for small retailers) or fair trade shirts. You’ll find a lot of wholesalers I imagine in Canada, but once you find a source, it should be gold. Sorry just haven’t bought any clothing in Canada fair trade or otherwise in over a decade.

It seems as though US / Can retailers are actually trying to make it difficult for local consumers to determine product origins - fair trade or otherwise. Overseas (from your perspective) retailers usually have expansive supply chain explanations so you know exactly what you are getting and from where - down to a factory. North American retailers seem far more ambiguous and often hide behind generic statements or claims of organic cotton or bamboo with little concern for labour.

The only hope I’ll give you is - it seems the whole fair trade movement in garments has gotten markedly less “Yoga, hemp and granola” in the last decade as labour abuse becomes a larger problem and seeks a larger audience for remedy - so fair trade product choices are improving and almost always surpassing non-fair trade options in quality.

I would try and get delivery from little yellow bird if you can - I love those guys that much. But if not, check out jerico.ca (I have never bought from them, nor can I vouch for their supply chain, but they offer single / multiple unit plain t shirts from supposedly (non-certified) fair trade source). But do some research - the real genuine retailers / wholesales will absolutely jump to answer your questions - as their mission statement is their reason for existence. If a company is coy - avoid! But once you find a good one - you can stick with it for life - after all, a t shirt is a t shirt is a t shirt function wise. Hope that helps a little!

Maybe some other commenters can contribute on this one :smiley:

2 Likes

I tried looking up the shirt I was wearing and in ran into full corporate speak of how wonderful and ethical they are…
Jericho.ca looks promising. TY

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.