These ratty designer tees cost nearly $100 a pop

Originally published at: These ratty designer tees cost nearly $100 a pop | Boing Boing

It’s nice to see they’re recycling things from the Goodwill.

17 Likes

i think i have to get the oil-checking t shirt out of my car and see what that’ll bring.

15 Likes

Another item for the person with more money than sense. As a bonus, these are no doubt designed to wear out more quickly than their Fruit of the Loom equivalents.

5 Likes

Slumming, eh? Classist bullshit.

7 Likes

Wow. My COVID wardrobe is worth about $600.

6 Likes

My t-shirts don’t get holes like those; do you think that “food-grease marks and strangely stubborn toothpaste dribble” are acceptably chic replacements?

7 Likes

Yeah, my t-shirts, distressed the old-fashioned way, get stretched out and frayed at the collar and the trim on the sleeves. They don’t get holes like a lab coat that has had acid dripped on it.

I’m sure no one who actually cares about fashion would wear anything like this, but at the same time they will immediately spot these as fakes and the wearers as posers.

7 Likes

Wolf and Badger used to be a design-centred shop with a careful aesthetic and an eye for sustainability; but they’ve lost sight of that in recent years and have started to stock a lot more tasteless, overpriced nonsense like this.

2 Likes

That seems to be a large part of the point, in fact. People sometimes try to equate these luxury “distressed” t-shirts and jeans to the slashed clothes of Renaissance fashion. There, the cuts were decorative, revealing the cloth underneath, and because the cuts usually weren’t hemmed, it meant the clothing item would wear out quickly (at at time clothes were incredibly expensive), showing the wealth of the wearer, that they could afford to make their clothing disposable. I guess the modern version isn’t so dissimilar, but it really is the dumbest version of that idea, especially when the distressing imitates the wear of physical labor - adding fake dirt and stains, etc. in an apparent attempt to claim the ruggedness of actually being working class while also spending thousands on a pair of jeans.

6 Likes

And here I was thinking this was going to be some NFT adjacent garbage.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure this is low-end. I distantly recall seeing this same sort of product selling for $500+.

2 Likes

Can I get a receipt for the shirt in the form of a NFT?

2 Likes

I don’t know if they do that, but a lot of places literally do. It’s disgusting.

How about my running clothes that are totally sweated through? Sounds about right.

Exactly. These are holes artfully cut, by someone other than the owner of the shirt. A shirt like this is over-the-top poseur.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.