My favorite ice cream scoop is on sale today

D’oh! My apologies.

1 Like

I worked in an ice cream shop when I was a teen, and spent a long time in the restaurant business. Ice cream is supposed to be kept in a service freezer that’s at a higher temp than a storage freezer so that it remains easily scoopable and easy to eat. But will not melt. Removing it from the freezer and leaving it at room tempt to soften, causes it to melt around the perimeter of the container. Which both makes it harder to scoop (that shit’ll spin!), and causes unpleasant ice crystals around the edges when its refrozen. On top of that the partially melted ice cream melts considerably faster than it should.

And we’re talking about home, the people you’re kid’s these daysing about lack of attention to detail are the people you are talking to.

A good ice cream scoop you should be able to scoop fairly hard ice cream right out of the freezer. But just how hard that ice cream is depends on a lot more than the freezer temp. Add ins and flavorings soften it. Except chocolate, which actually makes things harder for some reason. Think its the added fat in the chocolate itself. So Chocolate ice cream is the hardest, followed by plain Vanilla (or sweet cream/unflavored ones). After that the more heavily flavored it is, and the more junk tossed in there the softer it gets.

Hence my broken ice cream scoop. Was a good one, if a little worn. But there is an epic shit ton of chocolate in that chocolate pudding pie ice cream. Even the girl at the shop had trouble with it and they use them spades.

4 Likes

I think the thing is that the usual commercial grade ones just have a hollow handle with nothing in it, plastic plug on the end. Usually color coded for sanitation purposes. Dunno that I’ve ever seen one made out of solid aluminium. Though I’m sure you could find one.

So I think the idea here is that filling that handle up with antifreeze or whatever the hell it is works better than the usual vacant handles. Probably costs less than a solid block of aluminium.

1 Like

You don’t have to wait. Microwave “Soften” → 2 for ice cream → 1 for pint/2 for quart/maybe 3 for half gallon.

I initially read that as 40 oz and was ever so hopeful.

2 Likes

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.