My first attempt at smoking meat on a compact bullet smoker

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/25/my-first-attempt-at-smoking-me.html

12 Likes

I’m particularly a fan of smoked chicken, beef ribs and tritip.The food in the pics looked great, hope you have fun with it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Looks like a good start! My first try was even cheaper: an electric single burner with a pie plate of wood chips on it, inside a kettle grill. It worked, sorta. Now I’ve got an offset and a temp controlled electric. The offset is more fun. The electric makes it possible to smoke stuff while taking care of a baby, for example.

Re: chimney starters, the “BBQ Dragon Chimney of Insanity,” dare I say, lives up to the hype. Especially if you blow into its tube with a hair dryer or small electric fan.

10 Likes

Thank you! Also for the great first post! Welcome to the bbs!

6 Likes

Looks to be a fine yard bird you have there, I must say.

1 Like

How long until the first annual BoingBoing-Q cookoff?

6 Likes

I love my smoker. Bigger than a bullet but still looking like a small R2 unit. Last thing we did in it was a duck. Omnomnom. Now I’m gonna fire it up tomorrow - ye has inspired me.

2 Likes

Holy Crow!! that smoker is as big as the Vanagon!!

1 Like

Forced perspective

1 Like

That looks delicious!

What’s that effect name when you can smell an image?

6 Likes

I used to knock the price of a Weber kettle until I found a deal I couldn’t pass up. There is a reason why they are still around. It’s the Cadillac of BBQ’s in it’s simplest form. They are built to last and never disappoint. I’m kicking myself for not buying one 20 years ago.

5 Likes

I do love proper smoked bbq bits, my one issue has always been the smoke flavor generally over powers everything else (not when I do it at home but in eating it generally). I like the distinct flavor and texture of various meats, and find too often when I am having “authentic bbq” you really cannot tell what protein it is, as everything just has the flavor profile of smoke, sauce, and charcoal.

I like the small unit you nabbed, makes sense especially given the van-life adventure. Smoked chicken is my favorite of the options usually presented.

1 Like

My brother is going to get the big one. He is tired of managing his stick box and wants to just set a pile of coals and wood to forget for a few hours.

1 Like

I would presume that depends largely on how a particular person is doing their BBQ, as you likely know already. I’ve had ones that had just enough of a pleasant smokey taste but i could definitely pick up on the actual flavor of the meat. I don’t grill or smoke myself so i’ll leave it up to others if they have pointers on solving what you’re describing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yesterdays was lightly smoked but had enough fat etc left to taste like chicken. I think add less wood and just use more flavorless heat for less smoke flavor. I would double what I did this time.

1 Like

Traeger smokers are also pretty excellent and built to last. If he’s lucky enough to know someone that’s handy with welding he could pay them to make a custom one, at my work i know a few people that have made their own or paid someone to fabricate one but having access to someone like that is not wholly common.

I need to see if i can dig up a pic of the smoker our long time welder made for a raffle at work last year, it was really incredible and beautifully made. He’s making two more for this year again, it’s for a United Way fundraiser.

2 Likes

I think it is partially because I am in New England and perhaps we are shite at real bbq overall :smile:

Agreed…when it is done right…it is perfectly light smoke flavor, still good texture on the protein, and it enhances doesn’t cover.

1 Like

Those of us in apartment style living are ever so envious…I guess there’s always liquid smoke…if one has too.

2 Likes

Here’s the smoker our welder at work made, it was built like a tank. He didn’t make the handles, grate, etc himself but it was perfectly put together.

5 Likes

A remote co-worker in Florida once explained “we have BBQ in Florida!”, and my reply was “sure, and we have seafood in Kansas”.

4 Likes