A barbeque with proprietary charcoal

Originally published at: A barbeque with proprietary charcoal | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Proprietary charcoal means unauthorized charcoal.

Also, electric charcoal grill?

23 Likes

So, “Spark Grills charcoal” is its charcoal sobriquet?

14 Likes
19 Likes

I usually smoke with wood, started with charcoal. I have a dual gas and charcoal grill. I usually cook things like ribs or pork shoulders for hours and hours. And I have a lot of regular hard/fruit wood, plus wood chips.

90 minutes of charcoal isn’t enough to cook anything other than hotdogs pizza, hamburgers and smores.

14 Likes

Well clearly you’re just thinking too small. You’ll need to upgrade to the professional grade version, with briqs that drop into place off of a conveyer belt with a pre-timed sequence. Simply dial in what you are bbq-ing then set it and forget it!

Offer not available in Biafra or Carpathian-Ruthenia.

16 Likes

Maybe I could just make a wooden form, smash up some charcoal, add water put in the form (maybe add some hickory or mesquite) and wait for it to dry. Would I get a cease and desist or DCMA takedown if I made a video showing how-to ?

15 Likes

There is a bit of confusion of terminology around barbequing and grilling, especially in the US. This is a grill, it is for grilling things like sausages and steaks, the way most of the world does when they speak of a barbecue (“shrimps on the barbie”, etc). Barbequing in the American sense, slowly hotsmoking, is something completely different and something this grill, whatever other flaws it has, doesn’t claim to be able to do.

15 Likes

found some youtube videos-apparently you just need charcoal powder and some kind of starchy paste and you’re good to make some briquettes

7 Likes

FTFY.

11 Likes

Being as how the grill itself is $900, you won’t mind forking out for the boutique charcoal.

8 Likes

Is there any reason why you can’t simply fill the hopper with off the shelf charcoal briquettes? Once it starts burning, what’s difference between one large charcoal and multiple smaller ones? Might not be as efficient, but that’s probably OK.

5 Likes

I suspect the hopper is too shallow to take a typical briquette, and will only close when using the thin proprietary fuel slabs.

Anyway, that’s how I would design it if I were an entrepreneurial genius.

Also, it looks to me as if the grill will have a hot spot in the middle and be too cool at the ends.

8 Likes

What?!!! I JUST moved to Carpathian-Ruthenia! Going to take a nap.

5 Likes

What a shitty worthless idea, executed as a shitty worthless piece of landfill volume.

17 Likes

Yep. This is a grill. The word “barbecue” should not be associated with it.

2 Likes

As I said above, the word barbecue is perfectly acceptable for this in most varieties of English.

12 Likes

I’d love to stick around and debate this, but I need to go out and adjust the air vents on my Weber again.

3 Likes

No way to add wood chips or chunks, no way to set up dual temperature zones. Lots of things a $120 Weber kettle can do that this can’t.

4 Likes

tumblr_pd25be2hVT1ubfgh6o1_400

4 Likes