My first attempt at smoking meat on a compact bullet smoker

My first food item to be prepared was a chicken.

One spatchcocked and brined chicken

@jlw This was an un-"injected"chicken, right? I was surprised to learn most poultry factories are pre-injecting their chickens with “flavoring” in “service” to the customer. I only look for the untreated ones now.

1 Like

I know a couple people who are serious smokers of salmon and brisket. They are delicious. One uses a home welded 250 Gallon oil tank someone paid them to remove. The other uses a set and forget electronic smoker.

I want to try making Chipotle Chilies

It was not injected.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say most, but its been common enough for years. Alton Brown was pointing it out 15 years ago . But any meat product treated that way has to be labeled “enhanced” its easy enough to avoid. I don’t seem to run into them too often, and it mostly seems to be cheaper products and stuff that’s been pre-seasoned in some fashion. I see it more often with pork.

1 Like

Well, if average Joe wants to buy a new grill every 3-4 years, plus ruin a lot of expensive meat because the cheap grill has lousy temperature control, I suppose you are right.

On the other hand if Joe only uses the grill a couple of times a year to char some wieners and burgers, I guess a cheap tin grill is fine.

After reading the rest of this thread I feel a compulsion to fire up th’ Weber on Saturday and smoke up a coupla racks of St. Louis ribs. I’ll post a picture.

1 Like

To save about $30 vs the cheaper brands. Or pay nearly identical prices to the not quite as good name brand that doesn’t really do bells and whistles. (ETA: the other major brand that fits that bracket, and to note that Charbroil supposedly makes good infared grills, and Chargriller’s Akorn Kamodos are considered best in class for a low cost insulated metal Kamodo).

The disparity is a bit higher on propane, but we’re not talking propane. And its more expensive in general cause there’s more parts involved.

I smoke a turkey (and cheese, and squash, and also roast a pig on a homemade motorized spit) every year for Thankstaking (our annual chosen family Fall food gathering). Thermometors on smokers are rarely accurate, or even work. I use a hand held lazer food thermometer and take the temperature of the smoker itself at the base, middle, and top of the unit. It’s super accurate, plus, lazers are fun.

Smoked foods are the bestest foods. Smoke on!

2 Likes

This is also my preferred method. And then sit back and hangout. Chew some grass. Tell some stories and bad jokes if you’ve got some pals hangin out. Smokin’ food is one of the most peaceful ways to cook.

1 Like

I mean any time you can use a laser you definitely should. We are living in the future after all.

2 Likes

As promised, about 15 minutes before coming off the grate…

https://imgur.com/G2iKc8m

1 Like

Hey, that might work great! Or not! I’m going to look into it though. Terrific feedback!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.