My life on the road: A lost passport, no ID, and bullshit paperwork trying to get back to Canada

Most likely denied entry and put on a return flight, no? That’s no fun but arguably not worse than his actual experience. But, thank goodness for pre-clearance because if you show up there without a passport all that’s going to happen is you’ll be making a trip to the nearest passport office, as well as rebooking your flight.

I’m surprised he managed to register at a hotel without proper ID. I was under the impression that was an excellent way for a front-desk clerk to get shitcanned.

I believe that if you’re denied at the border and it gets marked down as a denial, you can end up with issues entering later. Could be a real problem if you have to travel to the US frequently for business.

Then there’s the whole detention thing which I wouldn’t really want to experience. They aren’t likely to let you hang out in the departure lounge for your return flight. I’d rather have to deal with the consulate/airline/hotel etc.

I was thinking you’d be allowed to withdraw your application to enter (as Canada allows if you’re about to be denied entry for some non-criminal reason) but maybe this isn’t an option at US points of entry, in which case I agree with you.

A Spanish friend lost his passport on the plane while returning to the UK, where he lived at the time, from a work trip to Morocco.

From his account, they took him into a room where someone, without warning, started speaking to him in Spanish in order to check that he was actually Spanish. They then asked him what he did for a living, and had him show them his LinkedIn profile, before eventually giving him some kind of form (which IIRC he would have to take to a police station after he either got his passport back or got a new one) and letting him into the UK.

I don’t remember why he couldn’t just show his identity card- maybe he didn’t have it with him? Also, I imagine that the fact that his boss’s name (as shown on his LinkedIn page) starts with Professor Sir possibly helped…

1 Like

Dude, look at his photo. He looks like one of the terrorists from Die Hard.

2 Likes

“Right!”  

Please please please write a book.

Sadly the maglev closes even earlier (9:40pm).

Because real grown ups never have things go wrong. They are never distracted, make assumptions that they did the thing that they always do, or just have shit go sideways. They control their world with an iron fist, and shape it to their liking! Let’s hear it for grown ups!

You have my sympathy, Seamus. That sounds like a horrible, stressful event, and I’m glad it ended as well as it did.

4 Likes

Lame. I remember it closing a little later in the evening (like around 11) but I haven’t been back to Shanghai in some 8 years or so.

These things are true, but they are still not “fancy” in the way Neuman is for mics, as an example. The SM57 and 58 are not fancy, they are workhorses. “You could hammer nails with them” is the line, I believe.

2 Likes

I try to avoid invoking the white male privilege line for the most part, but I also admit to wondering that very thing.

1 Like

I mean… don’t lose your passport. It really sounds like you’re just bitter because you made a mistake.

“We live in a world of wonders.”

“I’ve never seen one of these before.”

“The story of this day will be told to your children’s children.”

No reason to be a dick to people doing their jobs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.