My life on the road: stranded in Wyoming

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/13/my-life-on-the-road-stranded.html

8 Likes

Yikes at that tire inflation explosion!

I hope there is a new plan topping off tires, once the blowout is replaced.

3 Likes

We live on the road too. 40 foot bus rebuilt by hand, 4 kids, and beholden to the pacific time zone where my employer is based.

Sometimes, when we’re floating down the highway at 70 mph, I marvel at the technology that keeps things rolling, how commodity it is. When something goes wrong, it feels so personal - like I must be the only one experiencing this, and what choices in life have I made that has caused it to go so wrong?!

Fortunately, those are far and few between. Good luck, fellow traveler - may your tires stay safely inflated.

Oh, one more piece of advice I saw recently:

Take very good care of everything that is a barrier between you and the ground.
For example:

• Shoes
  • Tires
  • Foundation of your house
  • Your toilet
7 Likes

WOW! You and your sweetie are lucky at being unlucky.

I drove an old RV to California from Virginia and back and lived in it while I was in grad school. Two bad things happened - one each way. I backed my Mini Cooper off the trailer after I forgot to put the ramps down. That happened at an RV park in Denver. On the way home, I had a cracked radiator cap. That happened in Bakersfield on a weekend. I had to find a motel that would allow cats while I waited to get going again.

I wouldn’t trade it for anything!

4 Likes

Roger That!

3 Likes

Here’s a happy motor home ditty to cheer you up:

1 Like

Holy crap. I was driving up I5 near Seattle the other day and one of the tires blew out on the 18-wheeler right next to me. I’ve always seen the tire scraps and knew that it happened but I was not prepared. It was like a stick of dynamite going off right next to my window. I saw the pieces fly off and then everybody slammed on their brakes and/or went different directions for just a second.

Luckily, nothing bad happened. I slammed my brakes so the driver could pull off immediately and kept going once it was clear he was in control. Man, it had me shook up all day.

2 Likes

Old video, but still 100% accurate now.

1 Like

Shit, the one I saw literally “blew.” It just disintegrated in front of me, with tiny pieces flying in every direction.

BOOM! :scream:

7 or 8 years ago, lost two tires on the back of our TV mobile - we JUST got through the twisty rock-cut 1-lane drop of death stretch along the Kenora bypass (losing control there, oh boy…)

I was quite shaken up, OPP hit us with all sorts of commercial vehicle violations, nail-biter getting on the deck, the explosion of gravel from the crushed tail pipe … glad I was shooting off to the side.

Got 2 new tires, arrived late but did our 4 days of production without further incident (hired a commercial driver for trip back).

Happy Ending
On that production I met a woman who became a very important part of my life, we’re inseparable. I couldn’t love anyone more than I love her. The day ended much better than it started.

5 Likes

She tells me that the side wall of the tire blew out on her as she made one final attempt to fill it up.

This sort of failure is a huge fear of mine. You seen the video where the gentleman stabs a truck tire with a knife and finds himself half-naked a moment later? Yikes.

You are likely correct. It happened to one of my rural uncles, and it broke his spine in three places. He did recover… eventually.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.