My mea culpa to the Ig Nobel Prizes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/09/my-mea-culpa-to-the-ig-nobel-prizes.html

15 Likes

Episode 1 Slow Clap GIF by One Chicago

16 Likes

On the other end of the spectrum I’ve come to believe the Razzie Awards are just pointlessly mean.

4 Likes

The Ig Nobel’s also have the best solution to prize recipients’ overlong acceptance speeches:

12 Likes

I love how (at 7:13) an absolutely classic piece of research is shown (still taught in psych classes), which I had no idea had won an Ig Nobel award, and then I have no idea how but the girl just seemed to levitate away.

4 Likes

Poor Benoit Mandelbrot!

1 Like

You were probably thinking of the Darwin awards, which had a prominent Florida men participation through the years. darwinawards dot com if you want to check them out

1 Like

I think Andre Geim’s (the first person to win both an Ig Nobel and Nobel prize) comment needs repeating more

Frankly, I value both my Ig Nobel prize and Nobel prize at the same level and for me Ig Nobel prize was the manifestation that I can take jokes, a little bit of self-deprecation always helps.

5 Likes

That’s certainly a classic. I had the pleasure of translating their book The Invisible Gorilla into Dutch and had tea and a chat with Dan Simons when he visited Amsterdam to promote its publication. It contains some striking observations that have really stayed with me - which I can’t say of all non-fiction that I’ve translated.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.