My On-the-go gaming set-up

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/06/my-on-the-go-gaming-set-up.html

2 Likes

My [Papasan’s] On-the-go gaming set-up

16 Likes

I’m looking for something like that display as a secondary monitor for my MacBook Pro, but it’s not available in the UK. Anyone have a recommendation? It doesn’t need to be fancy; it’s mostly going to be running Chrome and Firefox dev tools.

1 Like

It does work well for that, I use the screen as additional real estate while working in the van on a 15" Mac Book Pro.

3 Likes

Yeah, it looks like exactly what I need, but they don’t sell it here. They only have smaller ones with no case.

I am meaning to find a laptop sleeve to act as a case for this one. It came with a functional but not pretty stand, but no case. I am using the packaging it came with for now.

That said other name-ish brands like Acer had some 15" IPS monitors that looked ok, but this one was far better for me at price and refresh rate.

2 Likes

shudder I can never wrap my head around that over keyboard and mouse for FPS games.

5 Likes

I’m working on a mini D&D on-the-go box with dice, monster cards, golf pencils, and a few player minis to choose from.

3 Likes

Funnily enough the Switch is the only console that does it right. Well-designed games on there use the gyroscope for aiming. Sticks for coarse movements, just point your controller for fine adjustments. It’s not as good as a mouse, but it’s not bad.

2 Likes

Pff, whatever. We watched a Studio Ghibli movie in a tee pee in the Adirondacks last year. Vacation is fuck-off time and camping can be exhausting. Having an option, especially for rainy days is imperative. I really want to get a Switch at some point as much for the portability as anything else (and as much for us as for the kids).

7 Likes

My [Lexicat’s] On-the-go gaming set-up

8 Likes

I’m paying attention, looks to be a pop quiz here any minute.

6 Likes

Rich Burlew’s A Monster For Every Season minis are flat pack. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

When I say no case, I actually mean exposed circuitry. I think the stuff you can buy over here is more meant for the Raspberry Pi audience than regular users.

1 Like

My youngest started PC gaming a couple of years ago. I grew up on consoles. Because he had a Star Wars game, I had to play. The entire time I thought how awful I was with a keyboard/mouse and that a console controller would be so much better.

We finally got a USB controller and all I could think about was how much more accurately you could shoot with a mouse.

3 Likes

this reminds me of one time, at a scholastic meet, after two 6th grade girls told me how bored they were while they were sitting there with cell phones and tablets. i took a single sheet of paper, tore it carefully into 52 equally sized pieces, and labeled it from the 2 of diamonds all the way to the ace of spades. i then proceeded to play a game of solitaire with it.

i still have that deck.

3 Likes

Pawns work fairly well for a travel pack in place of minis - they’re cheaper too. I use coins for monsters in my travel pack. (I’ve also got some spell cards along with my monster cards and some disposable PC stats to make things easier for a pickup game).

That’s if we’re not just forgoing the movable pawns altogether and just drawing things on a piece of scratch paper as needed, which honestly works really well most of the time.

1 Like

Did you catch the “Apple Sidecar” announcement? Pretty pricey option if you don’t already have an ipad though.

1 Like

Cheaper maybe, but not as cool as these little 1:72 minis that do the job. And I’m not overly concerned about cost (these are pretty inexpensive at $10-$12 a box).

https://figure.scale-model-kits.com/products/Adventurers-CMF104.html

Edit: There’s other fantasy sets too: http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/ShowFeature.aspx?id=39CaesarFantasyF104a

CaesarFantasyF104b

1 Like

Those are awesome!

2 Likes