Mysterious building discovered at planned site of new airport in Greece

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/17/mysterious-building-discovered-at-planned-site-of-new-airport-in-greece.html

5 Likes

Let’s hope they delay the airport long enough to dig for a half bull half man skeleton (“labyrinth!” “maze!” “labyrinth!” “maze!”)

21 Likes

does it happen to have a very complex series of corridors inside the structure?

EDIT–

5 Likes

11 Likes

It might have been an important piece of civic architecture, central to the lives of a people we know almost nothing about. Then again, it could have been a strip club.

5 Likes

Translation: “Fucked if we know. :person_shrugging:

Even for that famous confession of ignorance, that’s an impressive amount of added equivocation. “may have … periodically … possibly… perhaps …”. :clap:

8 Likes

In other words, an early Greek fraternity
drunk animal house GIF by IFC

3 Likes

The ancient Greeks called that a Symposium.

5 Likes

That is a large structure for such an ancient time period.

“Ancient alien airport site discovered!”

2 Likes

Am I missing a source link?

That is the problem in ancient countries like Greece or Italy. You can´t build anywhere without finding something historycal. The new subway in Thessaloniki, for example, was delayed for years due to archeological finds.

2 Likes

Is that a device for knitting gloves?

Antepenultimate word, third para.

1 Like

Funny how that’s phrased to make it sound alien and unknowable when it’s a literal description of many church services these days.

4 Likes

Are you suggesting strip clubs aren’t important pieces of civic architecture?

2 Likes

Clearly the Minoans beat them to erecting a radar station at the site.

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure the people who built ancient structures like this would look at modern humans and think WE were the aliens.

People keep saying that sort of thing, but not once has a UFO turned up to take me back to my home planet.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.