Mystery cassette from thrift store - who is this 70s prog rock band

There doesn’t even need to have ever been a tape

8 Likes

Northern Lights. Blissful:

8 Likes

Reminds me of the time a student dropped this into a video project, and I ended up going on an internet deep-dive for info (there was very little) and a copy of the full album (which I found).

4 Likes

Damn! I was going to make a Geronimo Jackson quip!

3 Likes

That is a brilliant idea for promoting a Spinal Tap like mockumentary!

2 Likes

It’s obviously Ween.

7 Likes

no, for sure – it’s reminiscent, though. i will also point out that whoever this band is, they are not Prog.

2 Likes

Updated for today’s modern kids?

4 Likes

love it. i remember that one, but this is my favorite:

5 Likes

I grew up obsessed with Renaissance (I was a weird kid in the 90’s), forgot about them for the last decade, and really enjoy Austra… the similarity was lost on me until you pointed it out. Listening to them back-to-back kind of explains it. Thanks for that!

7 Likes

A few observances

This sounds like it was recorded from a speaker, you can hear some thumping on a table here & there.

This isn’t a few guys in a garage banging away, there’s some good production to it.

There were moments of Spirogyra, but just a bit too soft, maybe a little Alice Though The Looking Glass. Interesting though… the keyboards are a bit too ‘modern’ in spots for true UK Prog Folk tho.

5 Likes

Yassss! I had tweenage fantasies of being their next frontwoman and may or may not have listened to this song on repeat for a good year or two. That and Trip to the Fair:

That song sure takes you for a ride.

8 Likes

So you’re saying that I now have a reason to go buy this van?

5 Likes

I went to a show of theirs in DC in 77(?). Beautiful production and all-around good.

2 Likes

ok, on repeated listening, i’m suddenly getting a hint of Grace Slick / Jefferson Airplane, too. i highly doubt that’s her, but it sounds similar in some spots. (could it have been a side project?) there was a lyric i’m trying to find that i heard on my first run-through that seems VERY familiar to me, and i’m wondering if it’s a cover tune…

[EDIT]: i meant to also add that i think this might be late 70s/early 80s, too.

2 Likes

The way the drums were tuned/mic’d makes me think 70’s for this reason. All bets are off if it was just some garage band. But I agree, it sounds like someone played the tape and recorded with a mic.

3 Likes

I’m getting way more Styx than Jefferson Airplane.

3 Likes

sure, maybe from the keyboards, but Styx never had a female lead singer though. and this definitely has a psychedelic, early Airplane kind of vibe. but there’s no way it’s Slick, either.

1 Like

lol see, i’m not getting female singer from it…I’m getting Dennis DeYoung I guess :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The recording of a recording reminds me of this-

In 1967 Pink Floyd played a gig at a restaurant and someone recorded them but kept that recording hidden/offline until 2011 when that recording was played for a recreation of that night. Guests made recordings of THAT event and those were the bootlegs floating around for a few years. A record rep was there to hear the playback and secured a deal to release that tape as part of a box set.

5 Likes