Nancy Sinatra's 1966 classic "These Boots Are Made for Walkin'"

[Read the post]

some might say “imitation is the highest form of flattery” but most of the time i say it’s from lack of originality and wanting to get bank off of nostalgia.

1 Like

They key to a good cover song is to put your own stamp on it. The closer they are to the original version, the less of a point there is to listen to it. The Beau Brummels did my favorite cover version of ‘Boots’ on their Beau Brummels '66 album, they gave the song a kind of menacing, off-kilter vibe.

You keep saming when you ought’a be changin!

1 Like

7 Likes

Would this count as a bootloader?

3 Likes

And if your cover is popular enough, people may not find out that you didn’t write it because it’s rare to hear the original, e.g. Jimi Hendrix’s cover of All Along the Watchtower.

3 Likes

A popular song and not the first time its been covered:

2 Likes

Every ten or twelve years some handsome fella cracks open the Great American Songbook and makes a zillion dollars: Harry Connick, Jr., Michael Buble, Bruno Mars? Someone else recently, I forget. What gets me is that they still use the big bad sound, everything the same. And folks go out and buy those records. But why? In this day and age when I can press a button and listen to Nat King Cole or Frank Sinatra sing the shit out of a song, why would I listen to your hipster ass? The real thing, as it were, costs the same or less, and usually sounds better.

If you aren’t changing anything with your cover–why bother?

You know how Orgy covered Blue Monday? I’ve often thought they could have done the same with These Boots… Maybe get in a female vocalist, like the one off the later Prodigy albums… Sounds good in my head anyway…

For comparison, an actual classic from 1966:

1 Like

First song I learned after I bought a bass guitar and joined a cheezy garage band.

“Imitation is the sincerest form of being a thieving bastard” – Victor Lewis-Smith

I always thought Lenny Kravitz cover of “American Woman” was completely pointless and added nothing to the song.

1 Like

This is outstanding. Thank you, Tim!

1 Like

Agree completely. See also: Dixie Chicks Landslide.

If you’re going to cover, do something.

And then there was this vanity project. …

I don’t get the point of getting out there to promote a new recording… getting press… getting clicks, and when clicker tries to play video… georestricted in Canada.

I can’t even be bothered to start the vpn…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.