NASA enlisted a priest and other theologians to consider religious reactions to extraterrestrials

Another example of some NASA higher-up accepting (even embracing) superstition as something of importance:

(wiki) The U.S. Space Shuttle program was officially referred to as the Space Transportation System (STS). Specific shuttle missions were therefore designated with the prefix “STS”. Initially, the launches were given sequential numbers indicating order of launch, such as STS-7. Subsequent to the Apollo 13 mishap, due to NASA Administrator James M. Beggs’s triskaidekaphobia and consequent unwillingness to number a forthcoming flight as STS-13, beginning in 1984, each mission was assigned a code, such as STS-41-B

Translation: Bye, bye mission number 13 for any launch.

2 Likes

One of the crew members of STS-41-B was Dick Scobee, who later died on Challenger.

2 Likes

Seems like “We realize the great majority of humanity follows some version of a magic sky fairy. How do we minimize the psychological blow back and resulting physical violence from those whose world view was just disproven?”

Do you really think that humanity will treat the discovery of extraterrestrial intelligence as such a non-event that it isn’t even worth considering how billions of believers around the globe might react to the news?

3 Likes

b4f316be673ab0f68c95f5e332d580a396a3b21c_2_400x500

15 Likes

Yep.

(That was the first DVD I rented after getting one o’ them fancy DVD players.)

1 Like

See ‘The Mission’. It’'s a great movie.

They offered peace, they didn’t surrender, and they were tricked by an episode of time travel that they interpreted as reincarnation.

2 Likes

It’s been a looong time since I’ve seen it, but isn’t this basically what the film The Mission was about?

ETA: ninja’d by @Bernel!

2 Likes

As a rule of thumb, people talking about “magic sky fairy” or similar never have anything meaningful to offer in a discussion of religion.

Yes. I thought I stated that quite clearly.

In any case, since you think we should be so concerned about billions of believers’ opinions, don’t you think we should also gauge the thoughts of atheists? After all, wouldn’t religious leaders want to be prepared for a massive influx of new converts?

A priest, an imam, and a rabbi walk into a bar…

5 Likes

Okay. I bagsie Space Antipope then.

3 Likes

Be my guest!
(Historically speaking there have been up to three popes simultaneously. Just sayin’.)

4 Likes

Need to coordinate on subordinates though. Don’t want any loose canons.

4 Likes

Even in fiction we are such a wicked species.

From what I recall during my time of attempted indoctrination, absolute irrefutable proof of sentient extraterrestrial life would probably shatter the so called “faith” of many religious adherents - the religious powers that be depend on ‘god’ and other celestials entities like Christ and the angels being ‘ineffable’ and unknowable, which allows them to interpret ‘his will’ for their followers.

The church I used to attend would likely collapse in upon itself if forced to contend with a reality that completely dispels their rhetoric…

6 Likes

No one said we should ignore the atheists, but I’m getting the impression that the part that irks you is that NASA is giving consideration to people who believe different things than you do.

If you really think humanity in general and religious people in particular would just shrug off proof of alien intelligence as a non-event then I don’t know what to tell you.

I mean, we live on a planet where people still ascribe supernatural significance to the movement of planetary bodies and where some have been known to form death cults in response to news of a passing comet. Of COURSE some folks would make a big deal out of actual aliens. We ALREADY have religions built around aliens and we haven’t even met any yet.

7 Likes

What are you talking about? Plenty of Christians have converted to other religions over the centuries. It’s never been a one way process. Why would you think that they would not be swayed to believe in a religion by aliens, too (if they have religion as we understand it).

I’ve not seen it, but according to the wikipedia it’s set in the 18th century, and I was talking about the 16th century debates the church was having and the priests who argued in favor of the humanity of Indigenous Americans (which I gave a link to, which apparently no one took the time to look at). I’m not surprised that debate carried on for a couple of centuries after, though.

But the discovery of new people, animals, and plants not discussed in the Creation myths was pretty important in transforming Europe during the enlightenment. It certainly helped some challenge the authority of the Church and to prompt states to break off and form their own churches.

Its’ not like people don’t know that the New Atheist movement thinks of everyone else, including people who are atheist but have no interest in “converting” others to their worldview. Primarily, because they won’t shut up and keep talking over the rest of non-theists and acting like they are the only people who are the “real” atheists… sounds kind of familiar in fact.

I don’t have a huge problem with religious people. Like everyone other group of people, some are thoughtful, kind, and a force for good in the world. Others are assholes. Much like any other group of people, I try and judge people by their actions rather than by some aspect of themselves or their lives.

Um… not all religions are out to convert others. You’re making the same mistake of letting Christianity dictate how the other few billion religious people believe and act. Hell, that’s even ignoring the first Abrahamic religions, Judaism, which pretty much is not an Evangelical religion. Much like the NA movement itself, it’s just more warmed over eurocentrism that has a massive anti-Catholic and anti-Islam streak.

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

8 Likes

Not in that story. It was the Minbarians who wanted to exterminate us*, and they only stopped once they captured a human and realized he had the DNA of a revered leader from long ago. Later on in the series that man travelled back in time and saved the Minbarians, becoming that leader. (Bit of high tech involved in turning him into a Minbarian).

• Admittedly after a misunderstanding where a human ship opened fire on a Minbarian ship.
1 Like

According to Discordianism, there are currently ~7.75 billion popes.

6 Likes