NASA fixed a Mars probe by hitting it with a shovel

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/25/nasa-fixed-a-mars-probe-by-hit.html

6 Likes

18 Likes

The “shovel technic” is widely known for it’s success in many fields across the spectrum.

13 Likes

Oh, That’s a BFH, big fu@king hammer…

9 Likes

To paraphrase @Melizmatic, this is why y’all are my people.

12 Likes

“Emergency Fixing Procedure #1

6 Likes

I usually think “well I’m no rocket scientist” before hitting things with a hammer in desperation.

Maybe I’ve been wrong.

10 Likes

I feel like if your design document for an extraterrestrial probe describes a critical power and communications junction as “delicate,” maybe reconsider shoring things up.

Big giant brained rocket scientists and mad vision to bring a shovel to Mars.

Genius.

2 Likes

In more technical percussive maintenance situations, sometimes it can work if you drop the faulty part onto a hard surface - but only from a height of precisely pi inches.

6 Likes

Oh, I’ve seen that go wrong a few times.

3 Likes

Best to round down…

2 Likes

I beg to differ. THIS is a hammer. Jump to 2:54.

10 Likes

They should also have included a roll of duct tape on the probe, and some sort of device that can apply it.

8 Likes

We call that a “swing wrench” in these parts

5 Likes

The mole isn’t fixed. The shovel has pushed it down a bit but it can’t push the mole below surface level… In the past the mole has seemed to be more likely to vibrate itself out of the ground, than in to the ground, No doubt NASA will try packing soil around it but personally I think the original concept was too dependent on gravity, moisture and soil properties.

3 Likes

My grampa called a shovel a “short boom excavator.”

4 Likes

“A junior knows it needs to be hit, a journeyman knows where, a master knows how hard”

14 Likes

Just one more of the long NASA tradition of using kludges to fix complex problems.

3 Likes

Give a bunch of adults (who are actually doing what they wanted to do when they were kids) a really expensive device on another planet that can be used as a hammer - and everything is a nail…

1 Like