Mars Perseverance rover captured this image of a metal drill bit lying on the planet's surface

Originally published at: Mars Perseverance rover captured this image of a metal drill bit lying on the planet's surface | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Littering Mars.

tenor (2)

52 Likes

It’s a “martian bong”, I’ve smoked with one before.

20 Likes

You know when you drop something small and when it hits the floor, the direction and speed it bounces has absolutely nothing to do with the distance it fell?

I might have dropped it here a few weeks ago. Sorry.

32 Likes

Law of conservation of momentum has no applicability to dropped objects.

22 Likes

Whatever you do, don’t explore sites of previous projects…or the Moon…or look at that stuff orbiting Earth:face_holding_back_tears:
Of all the Peanuts characters, why do so many humans have to emulate this one? Good grief!
wash GIF

12 Likes

14 Likes

Lots of Space Tachikoma can come up and ‘Are you gonna use that?’ or ‘Pastae!’ to take it whenever. Maybe ‘SexyCyborg’ can up her game to Mars Telemetry Bot Level and make a few 2"-across duster bots or 3D print a radiation indicator with a parasol, stack rocks, etc.

11 Likes

Okay, so it was dropped by the rover. But who knocked it over? Alien conspiracy!

4 Likes

I bet this guy knows how it got there…

america guy GIF

6 Likes

With a Martian?

5 Likes

Well, of course.

5 Likes

Above from Robot Bastard, a truly brilliant short film by Rob Schrab.

4 Likes

Well from Mars’s stand point, it is alien technology.

5 Likes

8 Likes

doctor-who-ice-warriors

8 Likes

“We won’t ruin Mars,” said the captain. “It’s too big and too good.”

“You think not? We Earth Men have a talent for ruining big, beautiful things. The only reason we didn’t set up hot-dog stands in the midst of the Egyptian temple of Karnak is because it was out of the way and served no large commercial purpose.”

–Ray Bradbury, And The Moon Be Still As Bright

7 Likes

8 Likes

Obligatory:

TL;DR: That ad was FUD by the beverage industry so they didn’t have to deal with their own negative externalities (and it worked). The “Indian” was an Italian guy.

20 Likes

So that’s where my 10mm socket ended up. Just what I figured.

5 Likes