NASA identifies bright green dot on Jupiter that looks like a dead pixel

Originally published at: NASA identifies bright green dot on Jupiter that looks like a dead pixel | Boing Boing

6 Likes

OK, that’s a image from 20,000 miles away. I am trying to wrap my brain around the intensity of that lightning strike. Ye Gods and little fishes!

15 Likes

I’m still counting the seconds until I hear the thunder.

14 Likes

“We’re going to need a bigger key.” -Ben Franklin probably

3 Likes

just ummm… don’t hold your breath. :grimacing:

2 Likes

If you look closely you can see the flash is illuminating the nearby clouds. Definitely not a camera artifact.

2 Likes

Finding a proper source paper is proving challenging, but it looks like the biggest bolts in Jupiter’s atmo might be up to ~3-4x that of “superbolts” seen on Earth. Superbolts (Superbolts Carry Super Power) on this little rock can be up to 1000x brighter and have up to 1000x more energy (~1M Joules according to UW, Lightning ‘superbolts’ form over oceans from November to February | UW News) than regular lightning.

So with some very rough back-of-a-napkin math, looks like a single 4MJ Jovian bolt could roughly power the average US home for about one hour. But uh…delivered in a number of microseconds.

5 Likes

Unless you actually are on Jupiter, in which case you should probably be holding your breath as long as you can anyway. :frowning:

7 Likes

Jovian-Musk had an “unplanned disassembly.”

(“Jovian-Musk” has got to be a punchline for something).

2 Likes

I checked with the vendor and they said that Jupiter is an ISO 13406-2 planet; so no luck on getting a warranty replacement.

5 Likes

they are, however, willing to upgrade to a star for the right price.

10 Likes

Methinks we aren’t alone in this galaxy!

1 Like

It is left as a problem for the student to calculate the flash-to-bang time. Assume speed of sound in a vacuum = 0 m/s

2 Likes

I assume that they prominently feature the new 1.6 billion nit peak brightness; but don’t talk too much about the contrast?

1 Like

if you want to be able to see, head indoors and cover all the windows. problem solved

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.