NASA photographs what is believed to be a "runaway Black Hole"

Originally published at: NASA photographs what is believed to be a "runaway Black Hole" | Boing Boing

5 Likes
6 Likes

:metal::sunglasses:

10 Likes

A runaway… huh? Possibly comes from a dysfunctional part of the universe.

9 Likes

Nick Cage should definitely “star” in the movie! Epic.

2 Likes

12 Likes

*lolz

Nice stealth edit!

8 Likes

@orenwolf something is wrong with YT embeds

4 Likes

This is fascinating and terrifying. (assuming I am understanding this right)

Imagine life evolving around a sun that coalesced in intergalactic space, a stream of similar stars your only nearby neighbors. Wouldn’t the sky be especially dark - with other than the small number of local stars, the rest would be the dim lights of galaxies?

4 Likes

That sounds right to me. They’re hot blue stars, so presumably short-lived.

5 Likes

Well, at first that video sounded like a cute cosmic story about a meeting between two black holes :heart_eyes: who formed a thruple :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:…only for one of them to be violently flung out into space! :astonished:

After a breakup like that I’d be a little dysfunctional, too. :face_holding_back_tears: Invisible monster?

Monsters Inc GIF by netflixlat

10 Likes

Run away hole never coming back

Making stars on a galactic trek

Seems like I should be eating matter

But I move to fast for me to gather

15 Likes

One of the astronomy youtubers I follow (and I can’t think of which one, to link it to; it might be Anton Petrov, or Dr. David Kipping from Columbia University) was talking about galaxies which exist in regions of voids in the universe. They are so far from any other galaxy that they cannot see the light from anything else, and if they have developed intelligent life, they may think that the universe consists only of their galaxy. Until they develop more advanced astronomy.

4 Likes

And apparently in a few billion years that will be every galaxy. Perhaps 10 billion years from now intelligent life will have no way to figure out how the universe evolved.

1 Like

How much is that in Corgis?

9 Likes

I’ve heard that too, which is more terrifying to me. Other than the heat death of the universe, nothing else sounds so isolating. I guess at one point, we too thought we were the only galaxy.

And it begs the question if this has already happened to a degree - that in the past we could have seen even more of what is our universe.

I realize space is vast and lonely, but the thought of being BETWEEN galaxies - just randomly out in the void. I know occasionally things get flung out side of galaxies and so their are lonely, dark planets just whizzing about somewhere…

1 Like

I mean…what a comforting thought, knowing that there are massive black holes out there, just wandering willy-nilly amongst the galaxies… Sleep tight everyone!

3 Likes

i think not in our past ( humans ) but maybe if the earth has eyes.

the one i find sad, is that even if we suddenly developed light speed travel, my understanding is there’s places we could never reach because by the time we got there they’d have expanded away - they’re forever beyond the edge of the bubble we can ever reach

well, unless the universe decides it’s time to turn around and collapse down on itself i suppose. then we’re in real trouble

don’t worry. i’m sure we’re much more likely to encounter a planet destroying asteroid than a black hole. :grimacing:

( i keep trying to remember the name of an old scifi story where a black hole or a dwarf star or something passes through the solar system. can’t remember it exactly enough to find it… )

2 Likes

Well, which is it?

2 Likes

wait. why not both?

1 Like