NASA reaches the farthest target ever

Heh; typo.

We were watching a Queen concert disc. I mentioned to my kids about how much of an over-achiever Brian May was, starting with him building his own guitar as a teenager (and that was so good he used it for pretty-much his whole musical career). After mentioning the whole astro-physics PHD thing, I slipped in that he had also played on the wing for Manchester United. I almost had them.

7 Likes

brian blessed?

In the meantime there’s always that OK Go music video. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Russian backup dancers dressed as flight attendants were trained in ballet.

6 Likes

Yes, he was.

I mean, is!

Emperor Augustus in “I, Claudius”. Great voice!

1 Like

Tricky video to shoot! They only get to do their free fall maneuvers in spurts of ~20 seconds duration, and those opportunities are bracketed by the a/c having to ascend (~30 seconds?) and descend (another ~30 seconds?) during which time they can’t do their “zero G” things. That’s like a minute of no free fall before they get to free fall again. So, digital cuts? Video sped up during ascending/descending phases??

1 Like

They did many, many takes before they got one they were happy with. Apparently shooting this video drove the band to the limits of their physical and mental endurance.

2 Likes

And perhaps a little air-sick? :slight_smile:

1 Like
3 Likes
2 Likes

Here I was expecting something more like this:

2 Likes

It does look sort of like a snowman, with a face. One ball for the head, one for the body.

1 Like

Looks a bit like two snowballs stuck together. I wonder if it actually formed that way. The shape is hard to explain otherwise, but space is so empty, the odds must have been vanishingly small.

at the marked point (10:25), a slide is shown hypothesizing how they may have formed
2 Likes

Never lick a body in space at near absolute-zero temperature.

4 Likes

Of course, Sir Isaac did spend some time on worldly matters, making a bit of a career change to take over the Treasury and sort out some currency problems.

1 Like

I do keep forgetting to do that.

(Definitely an “acetabulum” moment for me.)

1 Like

Ben Bova wrote a hilarious novel called The Starcrossed about how good writing frequently turns into terrible TV.

2 Likes

Poor Thule is still trying to get away from Ultima.

1 Like

Interesting, I’ll try to dig up a copy.