NASA successfully tests crew ejection system for use in aborted launches

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/02/nasa-successfully-tests-crew-e.html

1 Like

My friend posted a photo of the trail left from the launch.

2 Likes

Note that there will be a parachute, they just didn’t test it this time around.

For that you’ll want to buy the up-grade package with pin stripes, leather interior, and parachute.

15 Likes

Looks to be good clean fun.

1 Like

Really nice footage.

Old tech…

Bond%20ej

bond%20maniacal

5 Likes

What is the Republican opinion of late-term aborted launches? :thinking:

9 Likes

Here it is:

9 Likes

Interesting to see the spent rocket in relatively close proximity to the capsule. Also, think what it would feel like to be in the capsule while it tumbles like that.

I wonder what’s in the astronaut survival kit inside the capsule. That stuff fascinates me.

1 Like

Hopefully a giant gimble :wink:

3 Likes

Im guessing there will be less tumbling when the chutes are used. Not just for comfort, but the craft will need to be stable during chute deployment and opening.

I heard a race car driver explain what flipping a car feels like, said he felt firmly planted in the seat like normal, so there was a disconnect with what his eyes were seeing. I had a similar experience in an acrobatic airplane… ground-sky-ground-sky-horizon spinning in front of me… i felt “fine” physically- nothing like a roller coaster, but the world outside was spinning like a clothes dryer. The driver said the biggest problem is keeping your hands and arms inside the car by holding onto the steering wheel as your arms will uncontrollably go straight out otherwise.

3 Likes

spinning = artificial gravity?

1 Like

Looking out the Vomit Comet windows on a lunar gravity parabola was like that. The entire horizon tilting through a 60 degree arc, while my personal acceleration told me down wasn’t changing at all. Very disorienting! My brain insisted I was looking at some kind of unfathomable machine, because horizons don’t move.

2 Likes

Weird right? I think it has something to do with how the mass is tumbling and where the observer is located. Imagine a nascar car that is flipping… the body panels are spraying everywhere, the driver’s arms are being pulled out straight from the body, but yet the driver is still planted in the seat.

Its a weird sensation to have the rest of your senses disconnected from your eyes, right?

Pilots can/will lose their sense of orientation without a physical horizon (clouds, pitch black night, etc) and if not performing their job watching the instruments will spiral straight into the ground without ever physically noticing the bank or descent.

What if upon ejection the astronauts spontaneously combust ?

1 Like

Alanis Morissette will have to come out of retirement to update her song.

3 Likes

Yeah also in the real world scenario, the launch escape tower would be ejected after it stops firing, so the capsule would adopt a more stable attitude.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.