NASA's simulated Mars mission ends today

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/07/nasas-simulated-mars-mission-ends-today.html

6 Likes

Meanwhile, the mass simulation of living in Musk’s Libertarian Mars colony continues in ever-escalating form in the neoliberal West.

12 Likes

378 days in Mars Dune Alpha, a 1700-square-foot

egads, 425ft²/person for a year. betcha they’ve answered the ‘pairing off’ for “snuggle-time” more than a few times - the question is: did that issue make it into an appendix of the official report? (“‘pairing’? …how utterly tedious of you”)

3 Likes

Did they include the Martian Sand?

7 Likes

Was expecting cramped submarine-like accommodations, and saw a setup 8 times nicer than my apartment.

11 Likes

Did they have to deal with this guy the whole time?
arrive marvin the martian GIF by Looney Tunes

11 Likes

… if we absolutely need a reality-TV gossip drama contest in outer space, then there is this

4 Likes

So it’s not just tons of these leftover packs?

4 Likes

This guided tour of the facility makes me wonder if there are any three people in the world I could possibly share 1700 square feet without going insane

Have we forgotten being locked down during the pandemic already? I mean, there’s a lot of homes smaller than that.

6 Likes

Yeah, but the thing about apartments is you can leave them. I live in an RV and work from home, but even with a nice big house it would still be really hard to go through a full year of house arrest, with no real time communications outside of a few co-workers, and lots of other limits on resource use.

@evadrepus Yes, and a lot of people really didn’t do well under those conditions. Depression, social anxiety, agoraphobia, and lots of other things can be a lot more likely, and for astronauts on a long mission those would be close to a death sentence. And I don’t really know any mentally and physically healthy people who literally stayed inside a sealed home with no grocery store trips or visits or phone calls from anyone else for over a full year.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.