Nasty old coffee grinder restored

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/08/nasty-old-coffee-grinder-resto.html

3 Likes

Schweeeet.

1 Like

There are quite a number of “restoration” sites on the web - most follow the same (relaxing, informative) format of no narration, text to explain what is happening, and final comparison shots of the original and restored item. Absolutely habit forming, similar to the “Primitive Technology” vids, and the attraction seems to easily cross gender and age (wife and daughter love them also). The “my mechanics” guy is especially noteworthy for his attention to detail and willingness to use his significant metalworking talents to build (from scratch!) replacement screws, custom rivets, and other restoration items - all polished to perfection. Also - these guys seem to know each other and encourage others to also do the same kind of videos.

6 Likes

OK I really want to know why the power switch for the sand blast cabinet was pixellated.

6 Likes

yeah, what was that all about?

1 Like

That ground down old grinding burr is not fixed. Every part is refreshed except the grinding burr. My brain itches.

8 Likes

My guess is he’s working in someone else’s shop, and the sand blaster switch is broke but he can’t fix it which OFFENDS him to his very core.

ETA: or maybe it’s just random surrealness/fun with video editing.

One aspect of this one I liked in particular is that this grinder didn’t seem to have been made to the highest quality to begin with. A lot of these videos are of some amazing antique contraption lovingly restored to factory-new condition. But this one actually improves on factory-new by filing down some poorly tin-snipped edges, re-aligning that wooden piece, &c.

5 Likes

This video was everything I needed this morning.

1 Like

I KNOW. I mean, the grinding burr is the whole point, yes?

2 Likes

Lots of shinys. Very satisfying.

video comments say it’s worn out/broken and got a lot of comments in other videos. So he censored it, lol.

3 Likes

Perhaps there is a brand name printed on the switch, and they dont wantto endorse hardware for free?

1 Like

This channel is one of my favorites. Very soothing. I especially love how often he “restores” to better than new, it’s like the velveteen rabbit getting to become a real rabbit after being loved so thoroughly.

1 Like

What the heck. He just shoves the coffee back in without making a pot like a monster.

1 Like

Spoilers, thanks.:wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.