National Covid variants given official names to avoid confusion

Originally published at: National Covid variants given official names to avoid confusion | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Which one is “Fred”?

8 Likes

Covid Delta makes me think of Comrade Delta, which isn’t helpful

4 Likes

You have to click through to the existing naming schemes: https://cov-lineages.org/

They have stuff like:

4 Likes

given official names to avoid confusion

Confusion ensues…

26 Likes

Is it a positive sign that WHO decided to use the 24 letter Greek Alphabet, rather than the 26 letter Phonetic Alphabet?

11 Likes

But aren’t there more than twenty-four variants already?
“yeah, but omega is being reserved for the final act”

14 Likes

Somewhere, as we speak, a frat bro is coming up with a new pledge week hazing ritual.

1 Like

Protocol Omega: The Director will no longer be intervening in this timeline

4 Likes

So… Gamma and Delta are scary ones, but what about Zeta and Kappa?

Given how many variants they have already, it seems like optimism to use either. I would have played it safe and gone with Chinese characters. Lots of room for expansion, there - you can start out with the 3000-4000 most common modern hanzi, then expand out to traditional and lesser used ones, for at least 100,000 options…

9 Likes

… and there’s a non-zero change all five of them (original and the four named) are running around the US, because idiocracy.

Beam me up scotty, I don’t want to live here anymore.

4 Likes

:eyes:

10 Likes

Closeup of the omega variant.

12 Likes

Good to get the country names out of the mix… ammo for the nutcases to further dump hate on folks.

14 Likes

8 Likes
1 Like

“Easy to say”, but I have still heard someone pronounce theta three different ways in the same lecture.

5 Likes

When do we get a golden release COVID 1.0?

(furthermore) if i know virologists (and i do) we may rest assured of:

• Covid-alpha-2
  • Covid-alpha-2r7
  • Covid-alpha-2r7B
  • Covid-alpha-2r7B_Göttingen
  • …and so forth
10 Likes

Of course nobody’s mentioning the fact that 5G utilizes alpha, beta, and gamma radiation in order to modify the DNA of smart phone users. Unlike you sheeple, I’ve done my research!

Also, speaking of gamma radiation, here’s a picture from my childhood:

7 Likes