Does anyone out there know how to say omicron?

Originally published at: Does anyone out there know how to say omicron? | Boing Boing

3 Likes

It’s typically “aw muh cron” if you’re an American.

3 Likes
17 Likes

aa · muh · kraan

2 Likes

10 Likes

Common animal names? You mean things like zebra or sloth? :slight_frown:

1 Like

When they run out of greek letters they’ll start naming the variants after Atlantic hurricanes.

7 Likes

I’m’a cranberry?

two little speaker icons on this page draw a line between them and go 0.6180339 along that line (giving the golden mean to the Greek, naturally)

1 Like

I know how to pronounce it!

18 Likes

It’s like Unicron but more dangerous.

4 Likes

Well done, seriously, bravo!!

7 Likes

I would illustrate this using Universe Sandbox, but unfortunately, I managed only to create supernova after supernova. It is a spectral type B1 giant and a type B2 dwarf orbiting each other every 4.4 days

4 Likes

index

9022-20056

7 Likes

The next letter would have been Nu, which would have been irreconcilably confusing, after that would have been Xi, though pronounced differently would have been politically inflammatory so, the next, Omicron was logical. How is anyone having a problem with this? Are we all that simple minded?

2 Likes

I think we’re just discussing the pronunciation? :thinking:

8 Likes

Yes, most of us still struggle with velcro.

14 Likes

I do. I pronounce it like I learned back when I studied classics. But a short o is fine, too.

In other news, funny how linguists tut tut on prescriptivists until it comes to classics.

3 Likes

I thought it was pronounced Unicron?

1 Like

Or Omnicron!